The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Thanksgiving menus (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174173)

bobaftt 10-29-2013 01:33 PM

Thanksgiving menus

Whats cooking for turkey day?

Melrod59 10-29-2013 07:56 PM

Smoke-roasted fresh turkey
Cornbread dressing
Green beans with smoked turkey
Macaroni and cheese
Apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream

FatCoyote 10-29-2013 07:59 PM

Everything that can fit on the smoker, ham, turkey, potatoes, green bean cass, stuffed mushrooms, cheese, sausage fatty, ice cream (yes you read the right).

sliding_billy 10-30-2013 03:31 AM

I have been banned from cooking that day. That is the wife's baby.

jamus34 10-30-2013 12:38 PM

I'm going to smoke a bird to bring over to my M-I-L's...

I imagine we'll have a smoked bird, a baked bird and a fried bird.

Thermal Mass 10-30-2013 12:50 PM

I am trying to get the lead on making the turkey from my MIL...:boxing:

Either way I am seriously kicking up my sweet potato and sausage casserole (it actually is more of a souffle) by smoking the fatty with the onion and pepper inside along with the split sweet potatoes. Totally re invented!:shock:

This place is a horrible influence.:becky:

Ron_L 10-30-2013 12:52 PM

I have no clue. It's way too early for me to be thinking about Thanksgiving!

ButtBurner 10-30-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sliding_billy (Post 2675307)

same here

but its the 93 yr old mother in law thats in charge here. she still cranks out the turkey and all the fixins.

I do carve the bird for her the past few years and heft it in and out of the oven

BUT she has taking a liking to my home made kolbasz.. thats always on the menu too

Fwismoker 10-30-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sliding_billy (Post 2675307)

She won't let you cook the bird??

A buddy of mines wife won't let him but it's that she doesn't trust him not ruing it! lol

ATLSean 10-30-2013 01:14 PM

A couple of turkeys will be smoked, everyone else is handling the sides. I might sneak in a rack of ribs just because!

joshcary 10-30-2013 01:47 PM

Other than a smoked bird, the most important dish will be the quinoa stuffing w/ apples, cranberries, and sweet potatoes!

sliding_billy 10-30-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fwismoker (Post 2675722)
She won't let you cook the bird??

A buddy of mines wife won't let him but it's that she doesn't trust him not ruing it! lol

I'm not even aloud to talk about cooking the bird. :crazy:

BMerrill 10-30-2013 02:42 PM

After baking the turkey for years, SWIMBO said a week before Thanksgiving about 10 years ago, "I want you to fry the turkey", so I did-for about 6 years; and then I smoked one (test project) on a Traeger a few weeks before Thanksgiving in 2008. A turkey has not been fried or baked at our house since. (Turkey fryer for $ale).
Smokin’ 2 for the family this year and who knows how many for others.

Menu (subject to change at SWIMBO's direction)
Smoked turkeys
Corned ham (fresh ham which is salt only cured for 7-11 days) boiling is the preferred cooking method as to save the pot lick'r for cooking a specific green leaf vegatable
Green Bean (no I can't say it, not going to say it, not going to eat it any more, please don't make it, soup & canned GB's with canned fried onions, YUCK)
Sweet potatoes made some way or 2 usually with a topping (crumble)made from brown sugar and pecans
Yukon Gold Potatoes made some way or 2 (mashed, whipped, Bill Graham recipe, garlic'y, etc. cooks choice)
Gravy (no giblets, please)
Collards (cooked in the corned ham water, yum)
Lots of Deviled Eggs
Another vegetable dish (sister's creation)
And yet another vegetable dish (daughter's creation)
Dressing (don't stuff turkeys, so it's not stuffing, pan baked dressing)
More gravy
Yeast rolls, butter and more butter
Cranberry sauce
Southern Table Wine
Pass the gravy please
And desserts...
Pecan pie, pumpk’n pie, a fruit pie (homemade Honey Crisp Apple preferred), and a triple vanilla Dream Factory© cheese cake which was kindly given as a team gift at a BBQ contest. Forget the cheese cake; it may not last until Thanksgiving, though its frozen, you know a little frostbite on the tongue never heat anyone.

Fwismoker 10-30-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sliding_billy (Post 2675768)
I'm not even aloud to talk about cooking the bird. :crazy:

Billy she does know that you know your way around a smoker....Right??:biggrin1:

The_Kapn 10-30-2013 02:56 PM

For the past several years we have gone into central GA for TD with our niece and her family.
I used to cook the Turkey, but...
Each year it got more and more difficult due to "logistics" and timing of the meal.
It came apart last year when the Nephew In Law bought a 21 # Butterball and I only had the roaster available with no time available in the oven to finish it! :icon_pissed
Underdone hunk of crap!
And, to top it off, his family does not even like dark meat... So why in the hell are we cooking a whole bird????

I told Mrs Kapn "NO MORE"!
I told her that NIL could get off his ass, stop watching the games on the big screen, and cook for his family like any self respecting DAD would do.

Fast forward.
I am now smoking 2 Turkey Breasts on the PG a couple of days in advance and transporting them cold to be reheated there!
Gonna due a couple of Drummies, just for me!

Gonna be a hell of a lot better than I could do there from scratch! 8)

Take that.......

/rant off

TIM