• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My new bundle of joy!

Melissaredhead

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Keyport, NJ...via Soulard,MO via Missouri farmland

She's all lubed up and ready for her first fire!

I'm so proud!:bounce:

It's up to 250 in only 15 minutes which I was shocked to see.
Any tips are GREATLY appreciated and wanted!

One thing I'm noticing is is that my splits are too big I think. I have the firebox side door open and some flames are coming out. I'm tinkering with the level as well front to back and making sure oil drains out.
Anyone think I should do the biscuit test while burning her in or next time (which will probably be right after the burn in lol!
Thank for lookin and wish me luck!

Congrats! We like people who can follow the rules...naked fatty is a must.:clap2: I say cook your favorite and snack on the fatty while waiting and feeding sticks. You can diet tomorrow. Do they have a tuning plate for that cooker?

Congrats! We like people who can follow the rules...naked fatty is a must.:clap2: I say cook your favorite and snack on the fatty while waiting and feeding sticks. You can diet tomorrow. Do they have a tuning plate for that cooker?

That's a great question. Could explain the big temp swing.

how long did you give it before taking those temps?

sometimes it can take hours (or seem that way) for them to level out

Biscuit Analysis

I baked...er smoked...a can of biscuits and here are the results:

This matches the placement I used in the smoker. The two odd balls are labeled top rack because, well, they were on the top rack.

Here I flipped them over...

Finally I cut them in half...

It was interesting to see the difference from the tops and bottoms. And the top rack received a lot more smoke but did not change the inside. Just the outside appearance. Good to know!
Oh...the cook for for 30 minutes (the package only called for 15) and the fireside maintained a temp around 300 while the far side maintained around 270.

Last edited:
Give it plenty of airflow with a small fire and expect it to change once you load it with meat, especially if you load it full.

Back