The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   African Cow Dung Charcoal Grill 15" (First Pr0n!) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131596)

This is not your pork! 04-26-2012 02:09 PM

African Cow Dung Charcoal Grill 15" (First Pr0n!)

What better way to introduce myself as a new member of the brethren than to show off my existing equipment. :wave:

Surely the majority here will belittle me for this ridiculous piece of "crap", but this grill, which we got as a present ages ago, has indeed been in use as our sole barbecuing device till now, and although I thought I would get rid of it this year when buying a new one, I now consider keeping it in addition to the planned WSM 18.5" to be able to still grill what can't be done in a smoker (the alternative would have been to get a cheap Weber Bar-B-Kettle 18.5" as a sidekick to the WSM, but why not save the buck, and instead get the most out of those 15" with some advice from you guys).

So here it comes, the African Cow Dung Charcoal Grill 15":

http://666kb.com/i/c3a6h3ou2maz85pk7.jpg

We pretty much only broiled slices of pork neck every now and then, which is the classic BBQ meat here in our region.

As fuel we always only used lump charcoal, no specific brand, just the cheapest on offer when we are at the supermarket. We once tried with charcoal briquettes (90% charcoal + 10% wheat flour), but it left an unpleasant aftertaste. To save charcoal I always filled the lower third of the grill with stones, with only two adults and two kids there never has been a need for a larger grilling session.

The only accessories we have so far is a simple three-piece tool set, an apron and a mitt.

My wife has always been responsible for prepping the meat with a self-made seasoning, the popular side-dish is a crisped up baguette, and we usually did not use a typical BBQ sauce, but a yellowish slightly sweet sauce called "Special Sauce".

So what's the plan here? At first I have to learn how to
  • BBQ the right way
  • select the proper charcoal and wood (for smoking in the WSM)
  • prep the different cuts of meat
  • make my own seasonings / rubs
  • make my own BBQ sauce
That's right, I pretty much have to start at the very beginning, as if never heard of BBQing before.

Any comments and advice are highly appreciated. :hail:

Big Kahuna 04-26-2012 02:19 PM

No need to be ashamed about your equipment it looks awesome and knowing this bunch in a couple of posts from now someone will want to know how much it cost and where they can buy one. :grin: I look forward to hearing more about this "Special Sauce" someone soon will post that they want the recipe.
Welcome to the madhouse, :icon_smile_tongue:
BK

teej 04-26-2012 02:21 PM

Welcome aboard. There is a lot of knowledge here and everyone is pretty friendly and forthcoming with it (a welcome change of pace from some other forums I've been on). Read through all of the threads and you'll pick up a lot of different techniques and processes. Do what works for you (after all, you have to eat it). I think one of the first things you may hear from people on this board, is to stay away from certain lump charcoal. I use Royal Oak, and it's suppose to be one of the better brands. Again, welcome aboard, and have fun with your journey!

Phubar 04-26-2012 02:50 PM

You kidding me.....that's Pharking Genius!:cool:
Can't wait till you have your own smoker!
There are enough Brethren on "Our" side of The Big Pond that maybe can supply you with a smoker if the prices on your parts are too expensive.
Think I've seen people from Austria compete in the World Championships last year in Gronau,Germany...gonna search it up.

*edit*...sorry,it was Switzerland I was thinking of.:oops:

BigBlock 04-26-2012 02:54 PM

I would love to hve that

Phrasty 04-26-2012 03:02 PM

Damn, That grill looks amazing! DON'T get rid of it... It should have some great radiant heat coming off of it. You need to try sort out a lid for it though. That would make it so much more efficient.

Welcome to the site Brother!
Cheers

jasonjax 04-26-2012 03:12 PM

+1 on keeping that. Looks alone make that a keeper.

Not the sexiest thing in the world looks wise, but definitely not ugly either, built rock solid, has some kind of intangible charm about it, and looks very reliable.

Kinda sounds like my wife. Definitely a keeper.

thejoda 04-26-2012 03:22 PM

When I read "cow dung" I was expecting some type of cooker that used dung as the fuel.

Diesel 04-26-2012 03:48 PM

If you dont want it how much is shipping to the States? :thumb: I like it! By the have you noticed that about 60% or more of the people here cook out of a 55 gallon steel drum including myself so dont worry about what your cooking on or in.

caseydog 04-26-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phubar (Post 2032334)
You kidding me.....that's Pharking Genius!:cool:

I don't know, looks like chit to me. :becky:

CD

tish 04-26-2012 04:27 PM

+2 for keeping it! I think it's very cool. I sincerely doubt that anyone here has anything like it. Knowing this bunch, you'll probably start a trend with the thing. :heh:

expatpig 04-26-2012 04:32 PM

If I had that here in Canada, I would use moose dung in it!

Boshizzle 04-26-2012 04:39 PM

Nice grill and welcome! BTW - I thought "Foster's" was Austrailian for "dung."

No, actually "Foster's" is Austrailian for "urine," I think. I don't recall.

CarolinaQue 04-26-2012 05:53 PM

Not a thing wrong with that at all!!! I agree, all you need is a lid...or do you not have any air vents on the bottom of it?

realspaazz 04-26-2012 06:17 PM

That is a cool grill!:-D You will love your WSM 18.5... I love mine.