The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I am one lucky guy. (maybe) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12618)

ckkphoto 07-18-2005 03:33 PM

I am one lucky guy. (maybe)

My wife came home from Sam's the other day with a UPC tag for a Stainless gas grill in the $800 range. Wanted to know if it had the features I was liking. the bandera is about to crap out so we are gonna down grade to a bullet smoker (patio space) and get a gas grill EVENTUALLY.
Still, makes me realize how lucky I am to have a wife that will help SHOP for the grill. :shock: Too cool.

chad 07-18-2005 03:38 PM

RE: I am one lucky guy. (maybe)

Great news! Sam's carries a couple of nice looking stainless grills.

Solidkick 07-18-2005 03:40 PM

JT bought one of those fine rigs........and he still uses the Bandera when he wants to cook something.....too much trouble trying to regulate the heat........it's either hot or it's not....but they sure look purty.......

brdbbq 07-18-2005 03:41 PM

Quote:

down grade to a bullet smoker (patio space)
Do A WSM you will not regret it.

jt 07-18-2005 03:59 PM

Re: RE: I am one lucky guy. (maybe)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidkick
JT bought one of those fine rigs........and he still uses the Bandera when he wants to cook something.....too much trouble trying to regulate the heat........it's either hot or it's not....but they sure look purty.......

Don't know about the Sam's models. I got the Jenn-Air from Lowes. Great capacity - just a good sized learning curve on it. Enough fat, etc drops on the heat plates over a long cook (chicken, etc) that you get good sized flareups near the end, even on Low. Kick and I have discussed it several times - next time I'm gonna shut it OFF in the last 10 minutes or so and see if I can get uncharred chicken. Really pretty though. Works great as a table next to the Bandera :roll:

chad 07-18-2005 04:36 PM

RE: Re: RE: I am one lucky guy. (maybe)

Quote:

next time I'm gonna shut it OFF in the last 10 minutes or so and see if I can get uncharred chicken.
You do realize that grills have more switch positions than On and Off! :twisted:

Maybe ya oughta just turn it down during the cook?? Gas grills cool off pretty quickly - when I do burgers I turn the off after flipping for the last 5 minutes.

Just a suggestion! :D

icemn62 07-18-2005 04:51 PM

Having to re-learn to grill with gas again, but I have not had flare-up problems. The shield does it's job and a little twist on the knob and the flames are down to a manageable level so as not to burn the food.

BrooklynQ 07-18-2005 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad

But nothing made in America!

The_Kapn 07-18-2005 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Quote:

But nothing made in America!

And your point is....?
Just curious :lol:
TIM

kcquer 07-18-2005 05:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

next time I'm gonna shut it OFF in the last 10 minutes or so and see if I can get uncharred chicken.

You do realize that grills have more switch positions than On and Off!
I've also heard of this radical new concept called "indirect cooking" :roll: .

When grilling on the gasser, I rarely do anything over direct heat start to finish. Usually start direct over high heat to sear and produce grill marks, then go indirect to finish "oven style". It works for me, you mileage may vary :wink:

Wayne 07-18-2005 08:08 PM

When my Bandera craps out then I will go back to my NBBD that seems to be much more substantial and has always made great 'Q. I also use a cheap little bullet smoker when I am camping or fishing. Smoking and fishing go great together. Around my house the only gas you will find is that which is caused by well baked beans.

BigAl 07-18-2005 08:13 PM

If it get down to using gas, I quit, why bother, just cook inside or go out to eat!

nucleargeek 07-19-2005 12:51 PM

Re: RE: Re: RE: I am one lucky guy. (maybe)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl
If it get down to using gas, I quit, why bother, just cook inside or go out to eat!

Definitely faster than charcoal, but I'm with you. Might as well do it on an indoor grill.

jt 07-19-2005 02:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You do realize that grills have more switch positions than On and Off! :twisted:

Maybe ya oughta just turn it down during the cook?? Gas grills cool off pretty quickly - when I do burgers I turn the off after flipping for the last 5 minutes.

Just a suggestion! :D

Please notice the following from my original post:
Quote:

good sized flareups near the end, even on Low
As to this:
Quote:

I've also heard of this radical new concept called "indirect cooking" :roll: .

When grilling on the gasser, I rarely do anything over direct heat start to finish. Usually start direct over high heat to sear and produce grill marks, then go indirect to finish "oven style". It works for me, you mileage may vary :wink:
This works very well EXCEPT when the entire cook surface is covered with chicken. Then I'm not too sure where to get the indirect heat from.

So Bite Me, Let's Discuss

G$ 07-19-2005 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl

Why?
  • Because I enjoy being outside.
    Because even gas grilled steak (seafood, chicken/etc.) has a different character from an oven broiled one.
    Because it is fun to entertain and cook outside.
    To keep the house cooler
    To differentiate one's self from one's wife :)
    To keep an eye on the kids/dog/lawn whatever
    Cuz it is cheaper than to "go out to eat"

I am sure others have more. Point is, Gas grilling is not a replacement for barbecuing, just as it is not a replacement for baking or stove top cooking. ckkphoto said he was going to downgrade to a bullet from slow cooking, not "get down to using gas".