Two projects... Oy vey.

slowshooter

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Two projects I thought I would share..

First is a Imperial Hibachi that my FIL brought back from Japan in the early 60s'. Well used and still works. There is a crack running about the back that comes from the corner. The firebox is mortared in place and it going to take surgery to pull it out without extending crack further. It has two rings one small for the fire grate to sit on and the larger ring for the grill. The larger ring still has wire and the smaller rings is grooved for wire as well. Looks to be a relatively easy repair - until you consider the wife doesn't want the repairs to be obvious from the exterior. That's going to be a challenge.

Project 2: Was looking for Kamado parts for the Imperial and it showed up on line for the price of hauling it away. When I remove the bottom band there while be a total of eight pieces. The lid is in perfect shape although there is a BGE chimney stuck to the top. I'll have to rig up a new firebox/briquet holder and door. Should be able to dremel up door fairly easily. It was assembled when I got there but lifting it and all the parts just tumbled out. Sure makes it easier to get epoxy in the cracks since they have turned into edges. :-D

It's an old Sazco. JB Weld is going to be used in quantity. My only concern is the space between mated parts will not allow the weld to have a great deal of adhesion. Going to have to scuff it up and repaint it as well.

It will be a low and slow cooker ala the Imperial. If folks have recommendations for a better epoxy that will stick to ceramic I'm all ears. Here's what they look like today.

Thanks!
Slow

Attachments

• theimp.jpg
    theimp.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 166
  • sazbot.jpg
    sazbot.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 166
  • saztop.jpg
    saztop.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 166
maybe you'll find another that might have a good bottom section, but a bad top. Between the two you may have one good one.

My OCD would compel me to patch the second broken one and have two ugly but functional kamados.
:grin:

Back