The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   This weekend I lose my virginity (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151235)

Quint 01-10-2013 12:41 PM

This weekend I lose my virginity

So this is it finally the weather has warmed to the 40's for the weekend and I get to break in my brand spanking new 22.5" WSM that Santa brought me AND my 1st ever smoke. I've grilled a ton of bbr's but never smoked anything. So I decided on ribs, not just any rib but St. Louie's ribs. So there are so many methods out there my head is spinning. What are peoples suggestions on the cooking method I should loose my virginity too.
I want some tasty ribs to munch on as I watch my Pats take care of business with the Texans...................

JMSetzler 01-10-2013 12:43 PM

Congrats on your new WSM :) There are a lot of methods for cooking ribs as you will see in the responses to your post here. Good luck with it!

Bluesman 01-10-2013 12:46 PM

Congrats on the new WSM, you are really gonna like it. The first time, should be soft sweet and gentle :oops: So, use some rub you like the taste of and cook them over some apple or cherry at about 225*-250*. Don't overdo the rub, let the smoke and meat shine through. Cook them until they probe tender and pass the bend test. No water in the pan and get ready to watch it puff for about 5 hours. Sit back relax, crack a beer and no peeking. good luck and let us know how they turn out.

Ron_L 01-10-2013 12:47 PM

For your first time I would keep it simple and just cook them :-D try to get the WSM running somewhere between 250 - 275 and don't bother with foiling or spritzing, etc. Just rub then and put them in and don't look for about 4 hours (depending on how big the racks are and whether they are full spares or St. Louis trimmed).

Either use the bend test or the toothpick test to tell when they are done.

Bludawg 01-10-2013 01:03 PM

Congrats on the new WSM and A cherry poppin party! 275, cook 'em neked, "Don't wrap your meat on your first time":wink: check at 3.5 hrs with the bend test shouldn't go much past 4 hrs if you keep the temp constant and the lid on good luck!

Mdboatbum 01-10-2013 01:09 PM

What the previous 2 posters said. Hot, fast and simple. Your shiny new WSM may run a little hot anyway, so keeping 275˚-300˚ will be a lot easier than trying to wrestle it to 225˚. I'd start off with the Minion method and start shutting down your vents at around 240˚, then it'll slowly coast to 275˚ .I'd close one all the way, and leave the other 2 open about 1/4", and give it a good 15 minutes after adjustments to let it settle in.

BobM 01-10-2013 01:28 PM

Congrats on the new WSM, good luck and enjoy it!

Mexi "Q" Tioner 01-10-2013 01:28 PM

Congrats and make sure to post some pr0n!

flyingbassman5 01-10-2013 01:37 PM

For a first go at ribs, use the K.I.S.S method. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!!

Find a rub you like, rub em down, and decide on a temp you want to cook them at. For spares, I'm a big advocate for the 225-250 range. 4-5 hours depending on the size. I've gone as long as 6 hours riding at a solid 225 before on a real meaty rack. Don't over think it your first time out and remember that if you're lookin' you ain't cookin'.

LT72884 01-10-2013 02:34 PM

here is my method from my blog.

http://grillofmydreams.blogspot.com/...-dem-ribs.html

deepsouth 01-10-2013 02:40 PM

Once I switched to car wash mike's method, I never looked back.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...class.html?m=1

Quint 01-11-2013 07:02 AM

Thanks for all the great idea's really looking forward to getting this rolling. I have a farm at the end of my street that has a huge apple orchard and cherry trees I've asked them if I could take wood from them when they cut down tree's or good size branches so I have a unlimited supply of free apple and cherry, even pair if I want but haven't seen a lot on using pair. It might be a nice experiment.

Patrickkva 01-11-2013 07:30 AM

Just want to echo the others in saying, "Go gentle with the rub". I nailed the first racks I did on my WSM, but since I went crazy piling on the rub they were rather nasty.

You'll find your groove.

Oh, and don't chase temps! Small adjustments and give the WSM to get back to whatever temp your are seeking. :thumb:

Bluebird 01-11-2013 07:55 AM

Congratulations, I just lost mine a few months ago.

PatAttack 01-11-2013 08:18 AM

Congratulations on your new WSM! Follow the others advice. Start slow, then you can progress at your own pace. Oh, and if you haven't tried Simply Marvelous rubs, give them a shot. Sweet Seduction and Apple are REALLY good on ribs!!