Menu help please - guys left home alone!

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My wife is leaving tomorrow on a 10 day business trip to Denver and Atlanta leaving me and my 19 year old home alone to take care of ourselves. Tomorrow night is Nettles sausage (a local spicey brat) & grilled onion hoagies, Friday is blackened prime rib. I've got 8 more dinners to deal with. I do have stuff to run up a brisket for a dinner and maybe some chili but that still gives me 6 to go. What would you do?

Edit: Oops, did not realize I was in the Wood Pile, chit this will work OK!

My wife is leaving tomorrow on a 10 day business trip to Denver and Atlanta leaving me and my 19 year old home alone to take care of ourselves. Tomorrow night is Nettles sausage (a local spicey brat) & grilled onion hoagies, Friday is blackened prime rib. I've got 8 more dinners to deal with. I do have stuff to run up a brisket for a dinner and maybe some chili but that still gives me 6 to go. What would you do?

I always try to make things my wife doesn't care for, IE chicken livers.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Wife cooks enough to last till Thursday and then Pizza on Friday. I'm telling you those Earl Cambell Hot links are the way to go. Either that or sardines.

I can move it to QT if you prefer. Just let me know.

Cook a butt and a yard bird or two while you have the smoker going for the brisket and then make pulled pork enchiladas and pulled pork pizza, and then chicken salad sandwiches or chicken stew, etc.

My favorite thing to do when my wife leaves for a few days is to go to Costco and get one of those choice ribroasts. When I'm hungry, I just slice off a steak or two, season and grill. Then in a day or two when that is gone, I go get another and repeat until she gets back. :hungry:

Unfortunately, now when she goes, she stocks the fridge with stuff that has to be eaten. She claims it's for my health. :tsk:

If I was cooking whatever I liked without having to consider TFO.
Id roast a duck Chinese style and have 1)Peking duck one night with pancakes and slivered green onions and hoisin, use the duck leftovers and bones to make broth and have 2)duck with bok choy, and soft rice noodles and mustard greens the next night.(Blame SmokinAussie for making me want duck, that bastige has been vibering us pics of delicious Chinese restaurant duck dishes and driving me crazy)
3)Julienned carrots and whole asparagus rolled in thin beef steak and simmered in a soy based sauce
4) Greek style lamb with garlic, rosemary and lemon and tzatzuki with a green salad
5)Southern Fried Chicken with buttermilk batter and a baked spud or better, Indian fries!
6) Salt and Pepper squid with fried rice
7) Grilled peri peri chicken with grilled rice cakes or sweet potato fries
8) Steak, a ribeye done caveman style with chimichurri sauce and a warm potato salad plus a tomato salad with EVOO and salt and ground pepper.

I'd make pulled pork and get a few meals out of it. As it is the first day with potato salad and a green salad, in nachos the second day and PP sammies with coleslaw the third day. Clubhouse sandwiches with leftover chicken a fourth day. Fifth day burgers and grilled zucchini. Sixth day chicken wings with grilled potato slices and grilled kohlrabi (grilled kohlrabi is the bomb!!) Seventh day spaghetti, meatballs and salad. Eighth day grilled cheese (mozzarella on crusty bread) with a salad of tomato slices, diced vidalia onion with olive oil, sea salt and balsamic vinegar drizzled over it. With your two meals that makes 10. :mrgreen:

My wife was out of town for 5 days last week. I made four different pizzas and chicken my way.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a FAT Fancy Fattie!!! Make it look like a FootBall! Stuffed with Crab!!

Ten days, eh? If your goal is to gain fifteen pounds and develop diabetes while she is gone, it looks like you have some excellent recommendations.

Yeah, go for a few meals that she might not approve of, but as a guy who cooks almost everything he eats, your grill and smoker can turn out some mighty tasty, and yet healthy meals.

I'd get a couple of thick, bone in pork loin chops. Grill them hot and fast to 145 IT. Serve it with some grilled veggies. Healthy, and awesome.

Chicken bombs are another killer healthy meal on the grill. Boneless chicken thighs wrapped around jalapeños and cream cheese.

Toss some flat iron steak on the grill, or some chicken tenderloins, and use it to make some killer tacos. All you need is the meat, some tortillas, some grated cheese, veggies and some hot sauce. Quick, easy meal, and in moderation, healthy, too.

You have an opportunity here to expand your cooking horizons, and do some bonding with the spawn. Get creative, and don't be afraid to fail -- the wife will only know what you tell her.

CD

Go the healthy route. Some buddies and I tried to make this awful week long all you can eat tour. It didn't turn out well. All you can Sushi, Indian, Hooters wing night, Rodizio, and i think it ended with the Old Country Buffet. No one was happy by the end. Some nice grilled fish is where I would go if I were you. Just cook on high heat on the grill with some salt, pepper, and lemon.

You will need Dessert!!! This isn't fancy but it fits the season and mmmmmmm is it good!!! (imho) :grin:

Pumpkin Gingerbread
(NOTE: this makes two loaves so cut the recipe in half if you only have one 9" pan, take that from someone who only has one pan :-? and didn't read the directions completely the first time through)

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf
pans.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil and eggs; beat until smooth. Add water and beat
until well blended. Stir in pumpkin, ginger, allspice cinnamon, and clove.
3. In medium bowl, combine flour, soda, salt, and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to
pumpkin mixture and blend just until all ingredients are mixed. Divide batter between
prepared pans.
4. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour.
5. Depan and let cool for a couple hours and drizzle white icing over the top!!!

Last edited:
Ok, now we all know you can cook and smoke.........and to feed a 19 yr old does require some volume :laugh:

You said you have a brisket to do, there's just so many tasty ways to use it after day one.
I'd be thinking of some type of hash with some of it. A good filling meal right there.
And then some stew with the rest.
What's your sons favorite that the missus doesn't care for?
What's yours?
Go for those two and that'll cover a couple days.
Those Cuban style ribs in the recipe section I did were amazing. I'd give them a go as I know I'll be doing them again. With black beans and rice that'll even fill the young'n up

EDIT:by the way these are only the first cup of coffee thoughts.....now my head hurts :laugh: should have waited until the second cup....

Thanks all, not to worry this will NOT be a 10 day tailgate party, we likes our fruits, veggies & salads!

Back