Ham botch and resurrection

bluetang

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Brer' Kazion and I scored a feral, domestic cross sow fo free. Well not entirely free, but the cost was only showing the fellow how to slaughter and fab out a market weight domestic. Ours was small and fat!. Kazion rendered out 2 1/2 quarts of lard! Anyway I took the hams, which weighed 6.8 lbs a piece and brined them ala Rytek Kutas' ham formulation. I questioned the salt content because the ham formulation called for more salt and cure than the Canadian bacon or cured butt formulation called for(both formulations were for 25lbs). I've done a ton of cured butts and CB but never a ham, so I rolled with the ham recipe.

Pumped to 10% green weight, covered and held in brine for seven days.
hams6.jpg

Hit the hams with black pepper, cayenne, and red pepper flakes
hams4.jpg

Did a snake Minion with a load at the end to cook them off
hams9.jpg

hams5.jpg

hams2.jpg

hams7.jpg

Brought them out at 150° F IT. The temps ran around 100°, then climbed to 120°-140° for around four hours, then hit the load at the end and cooked off at 250°ish. Hickory.
The botch part of the program was that I forgot to rinse the brine off before coating with the pepper:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:, salty arse bark! The meat was, for me, still a bit too salty; I'll try the other formulation next time. The resurrection was a 12 hour soak. The ham was then pretty dang killer. Thanks fer listening, thanks fer lookin!
hams1.jpg

Wow very nice.

Hams are on my list to do, just a little scared.

Blue that looks delicious!! Love the color. Think I could take a bite out of that bottom picture. lol
That's a good amount of lard you got, nice!! I've just finished rendering a batch too. :thumb:

Great Job .........

I remember many years ago I too did not soak out my ham the first time, very salty...

As we move forward we learn to improve..

Great job and I am glad you were able to save the day. Also keep in mind some rubs are very high in salt content and can compound the saltiness of the ham. I use rubs low in salt and sugar so they won't interfere with the glaze...

Again GREAT JOB...

Thanks for the write up and I'm with cowgirl, that last pic looks awesome!

First hams we done were almost uneatable, but as my sig states!
We learned as we went along. One of the better parts of butchering, was rendering lard and eating the cracklins or pork rinds as some call them.

So you have time to write it up, post pics, and NOT deliver my share?

Nice...

Nice save - I have used a pressure cooker or crock pot with either water or apple cider to help save a ham.

Looks like you did just fine!

Well I like country ham, so I probably would have liked the salty stuff. When I got to the part that you didn't rinse the brine off I went "oh chit!" out loud 'cause that's exactly something I would do. :laugh:

Good on ya for having the presence of mind and the 'nads to soak out a ham after cooking it - a most excellent save! I love that with all the gear you got you cooked 'em on a kettle - way cool! :clap2:

Back