• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Question

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Let's say all I can find are 18lb packers. What would be the pros and cons of cutting it in half to end up with two 9lb'ers? If cut, one would end up being a flat and the other a small packer.

Let's say all I can find are 18lb packers. What would be the pros and cons of cutting it in half to end up with two 9lb'ers? If cut, one would end up being a flat and the other a small packer.
Not quite sure I follow you:confused:

Not quite sure I follow you:confused:

Instead of smoking a huge 18lb packer. I'd like to cut it to make two separate pieces. So I'd have two 9lb briskets. Not sure if that would affect it a negative way??

Cut it like this prior to smoking.
dvr7ee.jpg

If you must separate (I wouldn't), cut it so you have the flat and the point as your two pieces.

I agree with River City, once trimmed it will be less than 18 lbs most likely. But, I could see cutting it so you get a large flat and a piece that is largely point. Then you could cook one separate of the other. It would work. I would probably not do it.

I have cut them length wise so there is a little point on each side. I usually do this when I am trying new recipes.

Why wouldn't you guys do it? Does it affect the end product? Is their a chance that it may dry out? I just dont want to be cooking for 22+ hours with a packer that size.

Cut off the point & I'll come take it off your hands :heh:

(on edit - work interfering with posting)

I'll bet there's a pretty thick fat cap on that thing - trim up yer brisket & see what it weighs then. You can also check out hot & fast - bump the cooker up to 300 or 320. Cutting it may be ok, I've never done it and can't speak to doing that. Start early & allow time for resting - that'll be yer cushion time for cooking, but you do want it to rest for at least an hour. Four hours (maybe more but again, can't speak to that myself) resting is not a problem when coolered.

Why wouldn't you guys do it? Does it affect the end product? Is their a chance that it may dry out? I just dont want to be cooking for 22+ hours with a packer that size.

There are certain things you can do to move the cook along, trimming, higher temp, foil, etc. I see no reason to split unless you are cooking on something smallish like a smokey joe. You stand a far better chance of drying your brisket over such a long cook. Same goes for splitting it IMO.

There are certain things you can do to move the cook along, trimming, higher temp, foil, etc. I see no reason to split unless you are cooking on something smallish like a smokey joe. You stand a far better chance of drying your brisket over such a long cook. Same goes for splitting it IMO.

I may have to give the high heat a try. If it can cut my smoke time in half, that's what I'll do. Thanks everyone :thumb:

Separate the flat and point, split each - cook half, freeze the other. It's not ideal but it will work fine.

A good friend of mine always separates the point from the flat, and then cooks using the high heat method. His briskets always taste good to me.

Kinda-sort of...if you cut it crossways...:becky:

Smoothsmoke, I just prefer to cook whole packers over flats. I have never cooked just a point. I think it is a little easier to cook a whole packer over a flat.

I have seen a couple of posts where they seperate the point and flat and trim the thick fat from between the two pieces. Then place the point back on the flat in its original position and cook that way. It makes the packer smaller and still cooks like a packer instead of cooking them seperately. Hope that make sense.

I did some searches and read on the bullet site where Keri C. suggested cutting a chunk off the point end off a long packer and cooking it besides all that's left for better fit on a little wsm. I've done it, and it works great. You leave all of the point that's on the flat alone. The benefits are two-fold: the brisket fits better on a wsm rack, and the point cooks faster. Ideally, the point needs more time to render anyway, and this way you can use that cut off chunk for burnt ends.

There is only one time I have ever endorsed cutting them in half. Thats when you have an event where you simmered them in a STRONG beef stock with juniper berries, bay leaves and worchestershire, then cut them, season them and throw them on..... WITH ABOUT 200 SIMILAR PIECES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Furthermore you don't actually cut in half... the point/falt section you find and cut that in half with the larger portion being the flat tip and part of the point as well. If you do this then dont even cut out the hard fat.

In essense then... unless you want to make these adjustments.... don't do it. :)

Back