The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   This should be interesting... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173566)

Serious Hog 10-20-2013 09:47 AM

This should be interesting...

Really looking forward to our last competition (BBQ Battle in the Boro, Murfreesboro, TN) for the season on Saturday but it's gonna be insane. Loading in, meat inspection, cook's meeting, actual cooking, turn-ins, awards, and packing up all have to be completed between 6:30a- 4:00pm on the same day! Thankfully, it's only chicken and ribs so it's doable, but it will be interesting to see how well we can perform under such a compressed schedule. Wish us luck!

Ron_L 10-20-2013 12:38 PM

That's plenty of time for chicken and rib! Have a great time and good luck!

didisea 10-20-2013 06:17 PM

Go in with all your meats trimmed to save time, and do up your boxes ahead of time and do the double flip into the comp boxes provided, and touch them up.

We do Chicken, Ribs, Sausage and Tri- Tip as a one day competition frequently, and I have done it by myself many times. See if they will let you set up your gear the night before. Totally doable.

Teamfour 10-20-2013 06:20 PM

Easy peasy. We did one of those earlier this year. Trim your chicken ahead of time. Print out a timeline.

sitnfat 10-21-2013 08:24 AM

Good luck I was gonna cook that one but decided to take my son to the WKU homecoming game instead.

DrToe 10-21-2013 12:41 PM

It seems like we always do the "quick and dirty" with comps as we all work and don't take enough time off for BBQ. We got the call from the waiting list for sam's club in KC in the morning and shot outta town ~4:30. Came in 9th... I also learned what not to forget at home. Good luck!!
On another note... what is the double flip you speak of didisea?

Serious Hog 10-21-2013 12:46 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice and good wishes. Just joined the forum this past weekend and really enjoying it so far. Definitely gonna trim everything ahead of time and just show up as early as we can to setup. One advantage to s cook like this is not having to bring as much stuff as we typically do for the overnight stay.

sitnfat, hope to meet you out there at some comps next year.

Thanks all!

BIG B'S BBQ 10-21-2013 02:54 PM

We will have plenty of time. Just try to remember not to pack so much, be like your neighbor in Woodbury the cleanest man in BBQ. I look forward to seeing Y'all there.

Serious Hog 10-21-2013 07:23 PM

Haha Big B, might've known we'd run into you on here. See you in the Boro, bud!