The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   smoking whole hog (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62764)

Shotgun 05-31-2009 05:58 PM

smoking whole hog

I will be smoking a hog next weekend and am in need of some tips. I have done a suckling hog before(with little success), but this one is a little big than Im use to( about 100-110lb). How long do you think a hog of this size would take? I have read a few websites that say around 5-6 hours, but that sound like that would be long enough. Any Help would be helpful. Thanks brothers.

Bbq Bubba 05-31-2009 06:21 PM

5-6 hrs will get you to slicing temp.

You'll need 8-12 hrs depending on cooker and temp for fall apart pork! :cool:

Shotgun 05-31-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 938879)
5-6 hrs will get you to slicing temp.

You'll need 8-12 hrs depending on cooker and temp for fall apart pork! :cool:

Thanks, fall part is what Im looking for.

KC_Bobby 05-31-2009 07:40 PM

Funny, we're cooking a whole hog next weekend too. (And could also use some tips)

Bbq Bubba 05-31-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Bobby (Post 938978)
Funny, we're cooking a whole hog next weekend too. (And could also use some tips)

I cook over direct heat on a rotisserie so a little different than most you guys but 275* for 10 hrs will make a hog pull apart tender.

YMMV :cool:

CROSSCZEK 06-01-2009 09:40 AM

I'll be smoking one in 3 weeks and was wondering ....
275*for 10 hours (estimated of course) will work for us reverse flow guys also?
Is there a foil/rest period?
Skin on, but hair removed right?
I'll have to do mine butterflied. Skin side up or down? ...or maybe flip half way through? (this is probably like a "fat side up or down question" with no real answer)

I was just wondering WWBD :eek:, and would I get arrested for it?

-scott

Divemaster 06-01-2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CROSSCZEK (Post 939329)
I'll have to do mine butterflied. Skin side up or down? ...or maybe flip half way through? (this is probably like a "fat side up or down question" with no real answer)

-scott

Scott,

I'm doing one over the 4th of July and you have managed to ask every question I had. Thanks Bro!!!!

Bbq Bubba 06-01-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CROSSCZEK (Post 939329)

-scott

The time should be good for a reverse flow Scott.
No foiling needed, especially on the offset but you may want to go end for end to keep rotating off the hot spot.
I've seen many done butterflied and seems skin down works as far as keeping all the juices close to the meat.

Rowdycue 06-01-2009 10:52 AM

Everyone has their own style but I always start them skin side up. I worked for my cousin who was a caterer and later cooked for Boy Scout troops and churches for fund raisers. We didn't use a thermometer but could tell when they were done by the way the hambone could be moved.We would flip about 2/3 through the cook which usually lasted 10-12 hours. They are much easier to handle if they are split rather than butterflied. Put the skins back on after the meat is done to crispen and you have some good eating. Have cooked 31 split hogs in one night with no complaints from the customers. This can't be done sober.Pain remover is a must.

Buster Dog BBQ 06-01-2009 11:29 AM

We had some guys come do ours last year and they cooked it in about 6 hours and it sucked bad. They skinned it and we seasoned it but they cooked it too hot for the shorter time and the meat seemed dry. If it were me, I would have put it on around 10pm. You're really just slicing the meat for the most part. I have heard of people foiling some areas to keep the temp down and the ears from burning.

If you ever watched Myron do a whole hog on FoodTV, he injects that thing completely full.

Good luck guys. I was going to do one but it wont fit in my smoker this year with the size increase.

BFoster 06-02-2009 06:39 AM

I helped a friend of mine do a pig pickin' earlier this year and we used one of these http://www.lacajachina.com/La_Caja_China_Roasting_Pig_Box_p/lcc-g101.htm .

It has an attachment to throw smoke into the mix but we didn't use it. The pig cooked nice and fast with a crispy skin. We did inject the heck out of the whole pig with some carolina red. Tasty.

Bfoster

roastntoast 06-02-2009 08:51 AM

As a guide I use 10 lbs per hour. I have only done 30 to 40 lbs pigs and the 10 lbs rule works really good for me.

Jules

JamesTX 06-02-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdycue (Post 939405)
Put the skins back on after the meat is done to crispen and you have some good eating.

I don't understand this. Are you supposed to take the skin off at some point?

Balls Casten 06-02-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Bobby (Post 938978)

I heard on the radio yesterday that there are 40 people doing hogs this weekend.
(I didnt know that many entered whole hog at the BabeGlossal)

Rowdycue 06-02-2009 10:52 AM

JamesTX----------When I said to put the skins back on the grill to become crisp I meant after you did whatever you plan to do with the cooked meat. Chop it, pull it, or whatever. My point was that the skins are very good after they get crisp. Some of the skin will be crisp already from cooking the pig. We use a vinegar, salt, red pepper sauce and it is good on the meat and skins.