The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Getting in BBQ shape for 2013 (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150521)

BBQMaverick 12-30-2012 09:49 PM

Getting in BBQ shape for 2013

6 Attachment(s)
I could have been hanging out down in Naples FL listening to some Buffett but instead I've been working out on the farm in Kentucky listen to some Jason Aldean and getting in BBQ shape for 2013. I'm going to be clearing some areas out for a couple new metal buildings (one to be my new man cave).

Not sure how many of you cut, move, split and / or stack your own wood but I enjoy it.

Pictures include hardwoods strip soon to be cleared that has a lot of Hickory, Sugar Maple, Red and White Oak along with a few Cherry. The Sugar Maple sap was running like crazy today (little warm up right after Christmas hard freeze). I did a close up that shows the 2-3% sugar sap actually dripping off. I also put some Hickory and Oak in old barn yesterday.

Lots more to cut, split and stack. Those discs get split into chunks.

PS. If Brethren close to Western KY wants any wood shoot me a message. I'll cut it, help you split (if you can't) and load up it up - no charge. I'm clearing several acres so I have plenty (within reason). Don't worry about anything except a way to get it home. I have all the equipment.

BobM 12-31-2012 12:01 AM

Looking good!

Randbo 12-31-2012 12:07 AM

That is awesome! You should be in fine shape for a great new year of BBQ.

pwa 12-31-2012 02:32 AM

Man O Man That is a good looking site!!!

pwa

que_dawg 12-31-2012 07:02 AM

Love the picture of the sugar maple sap dripping. That needs to go on the smoker right now. That'll leave a nice smoke ring! I sure wish I was closer to Western KY.... I'd take you up on that offer.

Mason Dixon Bowhunta 12-31-2012 08:11 AM

Cool! Don't forget to post some pics of the man cave under construction.

certified106 12-31-2012 08:36 AM

Looking good! I am set for 2013! Oak, Hickory, and a bit of Cherry...... That stack is 4.5 of 13 cords I have on hand.....I also heat with wood lol

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/...5-59-27_38.jpg

jasonjax 12-31-2012 08:59 AM

Awesome! Makes me wish I had more space. The wife wants a neighborhood for the kids,but I want acreage. Guess who won that fight.......

BBQMaverick 12-31-2012 10:57 AM

^Thanks all

Quote:

Originally Posted by que_dawg (Post 2311981)
Love the picture of the sugar maple sap dripping. That needs to go on the smoker right now. That'll leave a nice smoke ring! I sure wish I was closer to Western KY.... I'd take you up on that offer.

Curious, how much would you use since it is so green ?

I cut some at Thanksgiving before sap started flowing and I wanted to do these once I tapped and saw they were flowing so they would season with the fresh sap.

BBQMaverick 12-31-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mason Dixon Bowhunta (Post 2312039)
Cool! Don't forget to post some pics of the man cave under construction.

You got it. It will be a little later in the year. Just clearing some spots right now.

BBQMaverick 12-31-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonjax (Post 2312079)
Awesome! Makes me wish I had more space. The wife wants a neighborhood for the kids,but I want acreage. Guess who won that fight.......

I understand and when MaMa ain't happy no one is happy. I'm in a little how water over not going to FL vs staying at the farm. One thing I would do is remind your wife when your empty nesters you want to down size in the country. Hope yall have a good new year.

jacksedona 12-31-2012 11:08 AM

excellent to you and all brethren happy new year stay healthy and bbq

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

BBQMaverick 12-31-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by certified106 (Post 2312064)
Looking good! I am set for 2013! Oak, Hickory, and a bit of Cherry...... That stack is 4.5 of 13 cords I have on hand.....I also heat with wood lol

Very nice. Are you just doing duct heat or floor circulation to ?

I'm looking into this for my new man cave and possible doing a Sweedish style sauna / steam room as well.

certified106 12-31-2012 01:10 PM

I am heating with a Pacific Energy T6 (freestanding stove). It is in my living room and heats about 2200 sq ft pretty easily. It keeps the first floor temp around 74 and the upstairs around 66-69 depending on the outside temps.

cowgirl 12-31-2012 01:27 PM

Wow Rick, great supply of wood you have and a nice variety!! Very nice of you to offer to share with others too.
One thing I wish I had around here is a few more trees. Not much here but sage and yucca.

Hope you have a great 2013! Looking forward to your man cave pics. :thumb:

Pappy Q 12-31-2012 01:36 PM

Where in Western Ky? I'll be in Paducah in January and would love to buy a load of hickory from you.

The Biz 12-31-2012 02:58 PM

Awsome!!!!

I am debating on whether or not to get a splitter and clear some wood or just to buy the wood for the first season or two. any thoughts?

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/...5-59-27_38.jpg[/QUOTE]

BBQMaverick 12-31-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by certified106 (Post 2312285)
I am heating with a Pacific Energy T6 (freestanding stove). It is in my living room and heats about 2200 sq ft pretty easily. It keeps the first floor temp around 74 and the upstairs around 66-69 depending on the outside temps.

I'm going to take a look at that unit. Happy New Year.

BBQMaverick 12-31-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy Q (Post 2312311)
Where in Western Ky? I'll be in Paducah in January and would love to buy a load of hickory from you.

Your going to be real close. I can get you hooked up with some good hickory no problem. I will send you a message and look forward to meeting you.

Happy New Year

PS. As long as you are not bringing a semi it's free and you have a message waiting.

BBQMaverick 12-31-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl (Post 2312303)
Wow Rick, great supply of wood you have and a nice variety!! Very nice of you to offer to share with others too.
One thing I wish I had around here is a few more trees. Not much here but sage and yucca.

Hope you have a great 2013! Looking forward to your man cave pics. :thumb:

Jeanie,

I'm very blessed with a great variety of wood and plenty of it. This is my hunting / hay farm (no cattle) and has over 250 acres of prime hardwoods. I have others farms with more hardwoods as well. Glad to offer and I already have one Brethren going to stop by and get some.

Yall have a happy new year and look forward to talking to you in 2013.

Rick

PS. I'll keep you posted on the man cave project.

BBQMaverick 12-31-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Biz (Post 2312389)
I am debating on whether or not to get a splitter and clear some wood or just to buy the wood for the first season or two. any thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

Not knowing your situation it's tough to say. Do you have property or access to some with wood ? Do you have any equipment ? Are you just using to BBQ ? I would probably look to buy first year or so and do the math based on your situation. Truth be known it's probably less expensive to buy especially if your not using much but I have farms, all the equipment, saws, tractors with loaders, dozer, ect. I even have a spliter but prefer to swing the maul for exercise. Hope that helps

Happy New Year

Porcine Perfection 12-31-2012 07:01 PM

You are in much better "shape" than I am. That much wood is no easy task.

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBQMaverick 12-31-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP7794 (Post 2312649)
You are in much better "shape" than I am. That much wood is no easy task.

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL...That picture came from another Brethren, Certified106 and I'm not sure if he has a spliter or did that by hand. Either way thats still a lot of wood and work. I have done about 1/5 that much by hand in the last week or so and feel pretty good. FLEXIN works wonders.

trufunk 12-31-2012 08:57 PM

Wow!

bbqbull 12-31-2012 10:47 PM

What an outstanding offer for the local and nearby Brethren members.

certified106 01-01-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQMaverick (Post 2312668)
LOL...That picture came from another Brethren, Certified106 and I'm not sure if he has a spliter or did that by hand. Either way thats still a lot of wood and work. I have done about 1/5 that much by hand in the last week or so and feel pretty good. FLEXIN works wonders.

Considering the fact that my Dad and I process close to 12 cords of wood a year I do own a 27 ton hydraulic splitter however if it is straight grained oak I will usually bust it up with a maul or ax just because it is faster. I would say I usually split two cords a year by hand.

QTEX 01-01-2013 05:38 PM

Sure wishing I lived in Kentucky.

Militant83 01-01-2013 09:47 PM

Great offer I sent you a PM

GMDGeek 01-02-2013 12:00 AM

Ummm I'll be right over with my truck - nice stock of wood you have there!

frognot 01-02-2013 01:27 AM

Was in west TN hunting with my nephew the week before Christmas & we made a beer & bourbon run to Paducah (Roof Brothers).

Will keep ya in mind if we're up that way again & will trade ya some Texas BBQ sauces and rubs for some wood.

bigabyte 01-02-2013 10:30 AM

First off, that is one hell of a nice stand of trees for harvesting some wood!:cool:

But, I have tried too long to resist, and can no longer keep myself out of this thread.

I'm already in BBQ shape, fat and lazy!:becky:

thirtydaZe 01-02-2013 01:38 PM

nice discs. :shocked:

Terry The Toad 01-02-2013 07:27 PM

BBQMaverick... how do you like your splitting maul? I've tried two so far. The first one had a hickory handle (which I promptly broke when I swung and hit the stump with the handle.) I couldn't find a replacement that fit, so I bought a new maul with a fiberglass handle. It has held up a lot better - but it still does not do a great job at splitting. So, I'd like to know how you like your maul. Thanks. :-D