What to buy?

Cobra7

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a budget of $500. I've been looking a a Bradley, WSM and a Old Country Smoker from Academy Sports. What would y'all get?

WSM - or go to Costco and get a Vision Classic Kamado for another 100 bucks.

IMO if it Plugs in to the wall It aint worth the money the best BBQ comes from a naturally aspirated fire. So that narrows the field to 2 the WSM and the Old Country. Now you need you ask yourself how involved do you want to be in the cooking process. If you enjoy sitting in the shade with a good book and a cooler full of brewskies and managing a "Small Hot Fire" your a Stick burner type. If you want to go off and mow the yard take care of the honeydo list and whatever else your a WSM type. All this said if you learn to cook on a stick burner it will make you a better cook over all with the ability master any pit. also note the best tasting BBQ comes off stick burners cooking will all wood.

IMO if it Plugs in to the wall It aint worth the money the best BBQ comes from a naturally aspirated fire. So that narrows the field to 2 the WSM and the Old Country. Now you need you ask yourself how involved do you want to be in the cooking process. If you enjoy sitting in the shade with a good book and a cooler full of brewskies and managing a "Small Hot Fire" your a Stick burner type. If you want to go off and mow the yard take care of the honeydo list and whatever else your a WSM type. All this said if you learn to cook on a stick burner it will make you a better cook over all with the ability master any pit. also note the best tasting BBQ comes off stick burners cooking will all wood.

You had me until the whole "also note the best tasting BBQ comes off stick burners cooking with all wood" part...:frusty: The BBQ taste equally as good from any style of pit, it is the pitmaster not the pit that makes good BBQ!

Add my vote for the WSM. All you have to decide is which size.

DSC_5940-PP.JPG

Do not buy the Bradley. Works great, for a while, till the heating element burns out, after a few cooks. Even when it does work, the little discs are prohibitively expensive.

Do not buy the Bradley. Works great, for a while, till the heating element burns out, after a few cooks. Even when it does work, the little discs are prohibitively expensive.

Had mine now for 5 years and still going strong. Only gets use now when I am totally lazy or out of room on my other cookers.

The pucks are a bit expensive but you use them only for smoke not fuel so you dont need to use all that many for a cook.

All that being said - buy something else!

I'd get a Weber OTS (Or OTG) 22.5 and a Cajun Bandit conversion kit. You'd have a virtual big WSM (With a better door) and still have a great grill too. If you could score a CL Performer as the base for the CB like I did, even better.

I agree with the blue one above, and I AM a hard-core stick burner fool. That said, I'd still probably recommend the WSM on quality measure. WSM is a quality piece of equipment. I've never seen an Old Country smoker, but at $500 it's going to be tough to find a really good stick burner type, IMHO; usually you're looking at about $1000 for a small one...

WSM.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-16619-Kamado-Charcoal-Barbecue/dp/B005ELWI7S/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1372866744&sr=1-1&keywords=akorn+kamado+grill"]Akorn[/ame] but you can get a better price :shock:

Ok will vote for something off list - build a UDS, and use the saved money for a BBQ Guru or a Stoker.

Get the WSM and convince your SO that it requires constant monitoring and enjoy your brewskies without worrying about the smoker!

Back