The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Turd question...regarding "portable turds"???? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7201)

KT 11-21-2003 08:25 AM

Turd question...regarding "portable turds"????

Funny subject line, I know...but here's the question/problem:

I've made the turds several times for events at my house and everyone loves them.... I've brought what few leftovers there were to my office and THEY love them. Now, we are having an "appetizer luncheon" next Wednesday in honor of turkey day. I have multiple requests to bring the turds, but we do not have an oven to cook them or keep them warm .

Does anyone have any ideas or experience doing this type of thing? There are only about 10 of us in the office, so would only need about 3 dozen turds, tops. I don't have a portable grill, or I might consider just grilling them here at the office. Maybe cook them in the oven at home or bandera the night before, but I don't particularly care for the way they warm up in a microwave..... HELP!!!

KT

BBQchef33 11-21-2003 08:51 AM

heres what I would do... But before I go there.. I have a comment..

Cooking Turds in the oven??? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!!??? Thats what the Bandera is for. :) OK, i got that off my chest.

now. I would make assembple the turds tuesday noight, fire up the bandera at 6 and make the turds, Alittle extra heat and you can be done in 1.5 hrs.

If you have electricity????, bring a toaster oven. So? Ya may have to heat in 2 batces.. but thats an easy way.

If no toaster oven option.....I would improvise, ive done this before to keep stuff hotter longer.. Get an igloo cooler, fill it with hot water to get the cooler warm, and put something like a hot water bottle, or one of those chemical seat warmers that ya crack open in the borttom.. any source of portable heat u can thing of. (Electric heating pad would work, but then we are back to the toaster oven). Then lay the turds on the heat and cover loose with aluminum foil. And fill the remaining airpsace in the cooler with a towel or crumpled newspaper.

should work.. but the turds will be a little soft/soggy. I'd shoot for the toaster oven.

Oldtimer 11-21-2003 08:52 AM

I'd grill them at the office. Agree with you on the warming up part. Not to swift.

parrothead 11-21-2003 09:15 AM

I bought me one of them coolers that plug in. You can cool or heat with it. I think it was about $80 at wal-mart. Nice item.

KT 11-21-2003 10:22 AM

thanks for the comments so far....

I was browsing thru some earlier messages and saw the post about the $29 ECB......Maybe I should just go get one of those and a bag of Kingsford????????????.............

KT

tommykendall 11-21-2003 10:45 AM

Do the Neil T method - Easy Bake Master

Mark 11-21-2003 11:13 AM

Here's two ideas to grill them at work

A. Convert a filing cabinet into a BBQ
1. Pull out a drawer from your filing cabinet
2. Put a section of BBQ grill over it.
3. Light it up with whatever's in it for fuel

B. Pre cook and get a sterno or alcohol chafing dish to heat back up

I think the latter is probably the most practical

Bill-Chicago 11-21-2003 11:40 AM

Yep, $29.95 at Menards.

Should have mentioned it earlier. I woulda shipped you one.

in2que 11-21-2003 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark
Here's two ideas to grill them at work

A. Convert a filing cabinet into a BBQ
1. Pull out a drawer from your filing cabinet
2. Put a section of BBQ grill over it.
3. Light it up with whatever's in it for fuel

B. Pre cook and get a sterno or alcohol chafing dish to heat back up

I think the latter is probably the most practical

File cabinet mod?

BBQchef33 11-21-2003 12:16 PM

Hibachi is 15 bucks at wal-mart.

Theres also those disposable grills. Its a foil ban filled with small wood chunks. You can make on of those yourself, just a foil chafing dish, some charcoal and/or wood chunks and bring a grate from the bandera. Makeshift grill.

Oldtimer 11-21-2003 12:58 PM

Phil the "Turd King."

KT 11-21-2003 03:46 PM

Another idea..

Ran to Academy at lunch to look at their "cheapo" grills....

Did you know there is actually a NB "tabletop smoker"? That's what they call it anyway. A small cylinder with 167 sq. in. of cooking space!!! :lol:

It's only $18 bucks and a little heavier material than the cheap "kettle" style tabletops. I might have to give it a shot... Bring my chimney, charcoal, and pre-assembled turds....maybe some soaked wood chips for flavor....presto!

KT

BTW...I can see the file cabinet mod working really well....use a four-drawer model....bottom drawer is the ash pan and pulls out for cleaning. Next to the bottom is the firebox. Third drawer with some baffles, and the top drawer with a couple of racks for smoking... You could even hook a couple together with some flashing and tinsnips for the "offset style"!!!! :roll:

Mark 11-23-2003 11:03 AM

At first I was joking but the more I think about it, the more feasable it is. One of those fireproof file cabinets would probably be the best. Back in Austin, I remember seeing an old mail box converted into a smoker. Another option is to put the frige on its back. You can do a whole pig that way. Believe it or not, there are people who actually do this.