The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   thawing butts question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151526)

hogzillas 01-14-2013 07:03 PM

thawing butts question

I did the quick google search at the bottom but nothing came up about it but I've got a 2 pack of Smithfield butts about 7-8lbs each frozen from before New Years that I want to thaw out & smoke this weekend. What's the best way to be sure they're done thawing by Sat/Sun? Water bath or just in fridge or mix of both ways? I've always done my butts within a day or so of buying but got sick so I stuck them in the freezer w/o opening the pack up. I stuck them in the freezer on the 29th w/ an exp date of Jan4th so assume I'll be good as far as expiration provided they were good to begin w/ anyway.

cpw 01-14-2013 07:06 PM

I'd let them thaw in the fridge, and if they're not thawed by Friday early afternoon (for a Saturday cook), put them in the sink with water, changing out the water every so often.

firefighter4634 01-14-2013 07:07 PM

I would use the fridge, I would think that two days in the fridge they would be thawed out.

smokemonster 01-14-2013 07:30 PM

I usually put mine in the fridge on Wednesday morning for a Saturday cook. I've even had a couple that were still a little frozen in the middle when I threw them on and they turned out just fine.

BobM 01-14-2013 07:37 PM

I agree with "cpw".

I cooked an 8 1/4 pound pork picnic this past Saturday.
It was frozen. I put it in the refrigerator the Monday morning before the cook. On the Friday morning before the cook, it was still mostly frozen. I put it in a pot, and ran it under cold water for about an hour, then put it back in the fridge.
When I set it up Saturday morning, the meat probe read 35F.

If it's a little frozen in the middle, it's not going to hurt it.

hogzillas 01-15-2013 05:12 PM

thanks for the replies. I took it out of the freezer to the fridge last night when I got home. I've a feeling I might have to do a water bath for some time about Fri though

Eggspert 01-15-2013 05:16 PM

You always want to freeze meat as quickly as possible and thaw it out as slowly as possible. You get the best product and it is the safest.

Bluesman 01-15-2013 05:22 PM

Ooh great post...........got a 10# doing that right now..........

Midnight Smoke 01-15-2013 05:43 PM

Best way, 4-6 days in fridge depending on how cold and how often the door is opened.

---k--- 01-15-2013 07:10 PM

Short memory around here. Do a search. You'll find several people have been successful with putting frozen butts on the smoke. I've never tried it. But, if I were in a situation where my butts weren't thawed, I think I would give it a shot.

Hoss 01-15-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ---k--- (Post 2330000)
Short memory around here. Do a search. You'll find several people have been successful with putting frozen butts on the smoke. I've never tried it. But, if I were in a situation where my butts weren't thawed, I think I would give it a shot.

I have done it a few times.No difference in finished product whatsoever.I do cook at 250-275 dome temp.