Plans for the 3 dayer?

big brother smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I am spending my weekend cutting down weeds (gotta be cleared on the the extra parcel by June 1st), mowing grass, smoking BBs, skinnies, beef ribs, tri-tip and maybe a pork shoulder. I have not invited anyone yet, but the smell should bring a few neighbors by the house with beverages:-D!

I think I will also get a bottle of Ciroc vodka and make some Lemon Drop Martinis for the wifey.

I'm getting together with some good friends on Saturday. We're going to spend the day cooking, eating, drinking, talking, laughing, and maybe even taking pot shots at a few grackles. Sunday is yard work day, and on Monday we're supposed to get together with family.

Ron...Sounds like you've got a great day planned for Sat. That's what I'm planning to do on Monday....

P.S. - I had to do a Google search for "grackle".... I've never heard that reference before in Brooklyn and LI....

A familiar sight on suburban lawns, the Common Grackle can be recognized by its iridescent purple and bronze plumage and long, keel-shaped tail. It's expanding its range into the far West, but is most common in the East.
Description

Large blackbird.
  • Iridescent black all over.
  • Long tail, keel-shaped in flight.
  • Eyes yellow.
  • Size: 28-34 cm (11-13 in)
  • Wingspan: 36-46 cm (14-18 in)
  • Weight: 74-142 g (2.61-5.01 ounces)
Sex Differences

Female slightly smaller and less glossy.
Sound

Song a harsh, unmusical "readle-eak," like a rusty gate. Call a sharp, harsh "chack."
Conservation Status

Abundant and widespread, extending its range west. Eastern populations declining from an all-time high that occurred around 1970.
Other Names

Quiscale bronzé (French)
Zanate norteño (Spanish)

Cool Facts

• The Common Grackle is an opportunistic forager, taking advantage of whatever food sources it can find. It will follow plows for invertebrates and mice, wade into water to catch small fish, and sometimes kill and eat other birds at bird feeders.
  • The Common Grackle commonly engages in anting, allowing ants to crawl on its body and secrete formic acid, possibly to rid the body of parasites. In addition to ants, it has been seen using walnut juice, lemons and limes, marigold blossoms, choke cherries, and mothballs in a similar fashion.
  • The Common Grackle has benefited from human activities. The clearing of the Eastern forests was to its liking. The expansion of agriculture, along with the use of mechanical crop harvesters, improved overwinter survival by increasing the supply of waste grain. In the West, the Common Grackle has moved into new areas by following the planting of ornamental trees.

I remember when I heard my first grackle crack and squeal. Whoa!

For the weekend...catching up on the lawn, opening the pool, cleaning out the pond/waterfall, going metal detecting, and maybe grabbing mama for a short trip to the Ozarks.

Viiny - grackels are prettty common all over the island. A lot of people confuse them with crows.

Thanks for the Grackle 101, Vinny! You didn't mention that they can empty a bird feeder in 2 1/2 seconds!

At last year's Memorial Day mini-bash at Greg's, the Grackles were all over his bird feeders, so we had to chase them off :rolleyes:

In case you guys haven't guessed, the good friends that I am going to spend Saturday with are Bill, Greg and Bob for Son of Mini Bash!

This Weekend

Great Grackle stuff Vinny. Sounds like everyone is pretty busy

My weekend - Saturday - launch my new brewing system on a maiden voyage for 10 gallons of beer, schmoak a brisket and fattie, help a guy that is clearing off the weeds, so I can get in dirt and eventually, a lawn.
Sunday - more of the weed stuff. Monday - relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew - - - several. BREW!!!

Grackles can also produce more damn bird poop than any other bird. Whack them farkers!

I saw a one-footed grackle yesterday at lunch. Didn't feel the least sorry for the mangy thing!

I have always hated grackles! Like Frognot says, the chit volume is huge! But hey if people wanted to kill ME for MY chit volume, it could get scary at times! :shock: Especially after doing the peanut mod. Of course I don't go around chitting on people's cars, patio tables and sidewalks either so apples to oranges and a bit TMI...

My weekend is a 4 dayer... two on hot asphalt at the Great American BBQ smoking craploads of meat and a half day cleaning and re-packing for the contest the following weekend. That will be wrapped up by a day and a half sitting on my arse in cold air conditioning drinking cold beer, snacking on anything that isn't meat and hopefully finding a bunch of old western movies to watch!

Back on topic, gonna smoke some of them cheap briskets and some chicken this afternoon. Going to Gatordawg's daddy's place to do a li'l fishing on Lake Bridgeport and figured he might eat a li'l BBQ. Also need to check a deer feeder in Montague County and always like to take some Que to the landowner.

I've got a brisket, nice big pork shoulder that I am going to cut into 2, 4 racks of spares, 2 beef ribs, country style ribs and some sausage to smoke either Saturday or Monday. Sunday we are going to the see the Missions play. Haven't been to a baseball game since 92.

Ron_L said:
In case you guys haven't guessed, the good friends that I am going to spend Saturday with are Bill, Greg and Bob for Son of Mini Bash!

I'll wait for Bob and Ron to post the pics, but the reverse flow (I'm sorry if I got the name wrong) pit that Bob built for Big Fella's BBQ Team was farking awesome.

It was an honor helping season and cure the pit.

As far as Greg and TBird, great hosts as always, Bob made some kick arse beans, Gregs jerky was awesomey goodness, Ron's chorizo, cheese, poblano, stuffed fatty was the best I had. The chile lime pistachio's were awesome, the bacon cheddar burgers were good, for sure.

Thanks again to Ron for the local find of the sweet heat pickles. They're almost gone. Hope you all like the trinkets I brought (Ron licks greek ass, pass it on)

Ron is indeed a Master Angler, and Greg's boat captain skills are second to known.

Told Ron this on the way home. I needed this today. First full day of me. Not mom, not soccer, not daughters, not lawn work, not taxes and finances (still not done), just me. It was awesome.

As far as the grackles, none where had. But there was a casualty that caught a .22 dead on. I followed proper sanitation rules for the removal though. We'll miss you Speckly.

I'm off to Petsmart for a gerbil and a tube. Greg taught me some cool tricks.

Finally found a butt, cooking it, a flat (packers were crap) and my first fatties since before Christmas:eek: (low sodium diet sucks the big wong).

Getting ready to inject the butt and the flat(trying something new on the flat), hope it works. Have had few opportunities to cook lately so I'm cooking on the Cimarron and enjoying the trip as much as the destination, until it gets too hot, then into the FE the meat goes and into the AC I go:wink:

Bill, Greg and Ron, I'd have given my left one to have been there with you today, glad y'all had a good time. My turn tomorrow.

We had a lot of fun, Scott! It would have been great to see you! Maybe in September?

I just posted a report of the day in the Brethren Bashes forum, including a link to all of the pictures I took today, so everyone should check it out.

Bill, your limit is one gerbil per bash...

We just finished up a half hour ago

Rains were whipping through at 4:30pm.

Thought the grilling was shot. Near tornado winds, so I spread limestone on the lawn (newer folks search "limestone" for a pretty funny story)

5:15 and it blew over.

Chimney of K's, 4 pecan chunks, and a kettle, and we were in business at 5:45 with 2 pork tenderloins.

6:20, I add 4 cobs. Grilled corn on the kettle is a no brainer

6:50, sitting outside on the patio furniture I spent 2 hours pulling out of storage, then spray washing.

It was the best outdoor dinner we ever had. Humidity pushed out, cooler weather, and clean furniture. Great Memorial Day Dinner.

Pork loin had a good little smoke ring, corn was sweet as heck, and the best part was the appetizer. Spent 20 minutes on the phone with Jorge, just catching up.

All in all, a great day

Back