Grilled Fruit Funnel Cake Tower on Bacon Weave

SmokeJumper

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
San Francisco, CA and Phu Quoc Island Vietnam
We had a lot of fun making and eating this weeks "For Kids" Throwdown dish - Grilled Fruit Funnel Cake Tower on a Bacon Weave. We had a load of neighbors over for the event and everyone loved them (even adults).

I made my first bacon weave to go on the bottom.
CookingBaconWeave.jpg

I grilled peaches, pineapple, pluots, and apples to top the cakes.
RawFruiton.jpg

IMG_8067.jpg

GrilledApples.jpg

Using the grilled fruit I created 3 kinds of fruit sauces and also a carmel sauce for the apples.
Sauceson.jpg

I set up to make funnel cakes outside on the deck.
Funnelsetup.jpg

Using a 10" springform pan mold in a dutch oven and a funnel to pour the batter, I fried over a dozen cakes at 375F.
MakingFunnelcakes.jpg

Cakeonoil.jpg

Funnelcakecomingoffoil.jpg

For kids I pulled out 5" molds for mini funnel cakes.
Minifunnels.jpg

I made my own personal funnel cake tower with two large and three small funnel cakes. First I started with the bacon weave and topped with a funnel cake done up with pineapple sauce and grilled pineapple.
bacononplate.jpg

Baconplusfirstcake.jpg

Firstcakeandpineapple.jpg

The second cake was topped with grilled apples and carmel sauce.
SecondCakewithapple.jpg

The top 3 mini-cakes were topped with peach sauce, pluot/raspberry sauce, and pineapple sauce along with the corresponding grilled fruits. The final product was a tower of goodness! The bacon weave on the bottom was covered with the fruit and carmel sauce goodness. Yummmmmm.
FinalTop.jpg

FinalSide.jpg

Rippinin.jpg

This was a great way to introduce my daughter to solid foods. After staying awake for 72 hours she slept off the sugar high.
SleepingTessa.jpg

Thanks for taking a look at my Funnel Cake Tower!

Hmmm, somehow I missed the invitation. What a killer dessert.

That is a beautiful baby, shame on you for getting her drunk on sugar like that.

Back