The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Cooking Class or Not (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53415)

Smoky River BBQ 12-12-2008 09:01 PM

Cooking Class or Not

Ok...here is my question. Do you think that a cooking class is a necessity to win at comps, or can just plain ol' trial and error get it done? I am debating about a class, but there are none close to me. Thoughts? :?:

Big Mike 12-12-2008 09:15 PM

I don't think a class is necessary, you can win without the classes. The thing the class would be good for is to maybe shorten your learning curve some.

cmcadams 12-12-2008 09:18 PM

What Mike said... But taking a class helped us out, and it was fun.

Tinybud 12-12-2008 10:07 PM

I'm really considering the myron mixon class in feburary down at his home in georgia,,, but not sure I can make it ,,might have to wait for another one,, but I do want to take one,,, think it would be allot of fun,, and very valuable in helping at comps.

Big Tom 12-12-2008 10:21 PM

The Myron Mixon class should be very informative and a fun getaway. He definately has championship credentials.

Most all the different classes are taught by folks that have won in different styles of contests. They won't teach anything that the crew here (or any other forum) points out and reccomends, but the chance to spend some quality time with a group of other serious and not so serious cookers and maybe learn a thing or two can't be all bad, if you have the time and money for that type of experience.

Against The Grain 12-12-2008 10:32 PM

Absolutely not! That would take the fun out of it.

VA BBQ PIRATES 12-13-2008 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinybud (Post 800466)
I'm really considering the myron mixon class in feburary down at his home in georgia,,, but not sure I can make it ,,might have to wait for another one,, but I do want to take one,,, think it would be allot of fun,, and very valuable in helping at comps.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about this class & talked to Myron about it in Lynchburg. If my wife didn't just get layed off I'd be considering it.

For me the reason to take a class is to pick up the little things or to tweek something that will give me a couple more points here or there (And maybe introduce a new chicken cooking method to consider).

I wouldn't expect a class to make me a champion though any more than I would expect a couple of guitar lessons would get me a gig with Van Halen.

Tom

Bigdog 12-13-2008 09:09 AM

I was talking to RonL about his experience with the cooking class he just took. He said that one of the keys to it is to develop consistancy with your cooking. That claim can certainly be backed up by the many comp. cooks here like Rod Gray that are usually in the money.

MilitantSquatter 12-13-2008 01:32 PM

It all depends on where you're starting point is at. A decent cook, who plans well and has spent some time on the forum asking or reading can gain a ton of insight to assist them in cranking out a decent performance.

I don't think classes are necessary to win at all, as many here have proven over time, but a comp class will help with some of the finer points, provide creative ideas to adapt to your own style etc and many do have a lot of fun hanging with other cooks as well.

Good Luck !!

beam boys bbq 12-13-2008 02:55 PM

i have taken classes and i have learned more from you all here and from trial and error and cooking an contest with other teams

york

Alexa RnQ 12-13-2008 02:59 PM

We are big believers in classes. We took QN4U's class early, before we learned many bad habits, but then again we were so green that most of the information flew right over our heads. We repeated the class at the beginning of this year, which set us up for a pretty nice season. Taking the class for the third time last weekend, we can honestly say we STILL learned new things. It's as if your relative skill level expands what you infer from the same data presented.

We'd love to go do some other classes, but the travel involved, missed work and having two boys in school aren't making it look good at the moment.

Jorge 12-13-2008 03:00 PM

If somebody is winning, and willing to share some of that info I'm willing to learn. After talking to several people that have taken the class, Rod Gray and Johnny Trigg will be getting some of my money this year.

Black Cat BBQ 12-13-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivaHerself (Post 800861)
We repeated the class at the beginning of this year, which set us up for a pretty nice season. Taking the class for the third time last weekend, we can honestly say we STILL learned new things. It's as if your relative skill level expands what you infer from the same data presented.

I wondered about that too. I thought about taking another class but given by different instructors/champs. Everyone does things just a little bit differently and the more info the better.

We learned a lot at our class - all the champs seem to have their thoughts about BBQ and its really interesting to hear why. The big focus for us was all the info about how to make a good rub/sauce. Being consistent was the theme with everything. Once you can consistantly produce the same results (whether good or bad) you are on the right track.

Taking all the information from a class and applying to what people do or say here has been unbelievably helpful. We havent won anything but it sure has been lots of fun in the process!

Podge 12-13-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky River BBQ (Post 800439)
Ok...here is my question. Do you think that a cooking class is a necessity to win at comps, or can just plain ol' trial and error get it done? I am debating about a class, but there are none close to me. Thoughts? :?:

people have won before there were classes.

Double D's BBQ 12-13-2008 04:24 PM

We've taken classes in order from:

1. Texas Rib Rangers
2. Myron Mixon
3. Fast Eddie and Paul Shatte
4. Mike & Debbie Davis
5. Chris Lilly
6. Bart Clarke & Donny Teel
5. Rod Gray and Johnny Trigg

I can honestly tell you that we've taken something away from every class we've taken and have put little bits of it from each class into practice with our own style of Barbecue. Has it made us grand champion anywhere yet? No but we've improved from the bottom of the second half of the contests to a level of consistency that usually puts us in the top 10 consistently and gives us a shot at doing well. Last year in a two month span we had three reserves, a third, and a fourth and missed the Grand at Madison by .0006 of a point. So for us anyway it has helped and we had a wonderful time meeting these great people that teach the class and share their knowledge with us. Highly recommended!