First cook & pr0n from the SS-Two

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
On Saturday I drove to Lemoore with a buddy towing an empty trailer for a visit with brother boggster and this. The trailer didn't come back empty:
IMG_0110_2.jpg

Sunday morning I got the new-to-me SS-Two prepped for cooking:
IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

Put some lit Royal Oak lump down the chute & topped with unlit lump (looking under the drip pan/deflector at where the heat & smoke comes into the cooking chamber):
IMG_0684.jpg

On the top 2 cooking racks, I put in a couple of country style ribs, rib tips, beef ribs, and 15 lbs of pork butt (and a couple of Stoker pit probes):
IMG_0699.jpg

The country style ribs (rubbed with Simply Marvelous Sweet & Spicy) didn't take long:
IMG_0117.jpg

The rib tips (rubbed with SM Spicy Apple) and beef ribs (Rub Co Original & Santa Maria combo) came off next:
IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

And a few hours later, a butt rubbed with SM Cherry & Plowboys Yardbird came off and was wrapped in foil for a rest:
IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

It ended up being pulled:
IMG_0720.jpg

The other butt was rubbed with SM Cherry, SM Sweet & Spicy, and SM Season All and foiled around 165 and pulled off around 185. This one ended up with some slices, chunks, and some chopped:
IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

It was a pretty long day but I'm happy with the end result and I learned some things about cooking in the SS-Two on my first cook on a gravity fed smoker.

Now I just need some more reasons to cook a bunch so I can justify firing up this big (to me) cooker!

Thanks for looking and a big thanks to boggster for selling me the SS-Two!

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new smoker. I hope it brings you much pleasure. Looks like a great smoker!

Cool toy...congratsz!
Spread looks awesome...must had a party or something?

Thanks Phu!

"Or something" I guess! I gave a bunch of food to my buddy who helped me pick up & off load the smoker (oh and a beef rib to MartyLeach who also helped with the offload). I'm also taking some leftovers to work today for some hungry co-workers.

I was just trying to fill it up with various meats and check temps in various places to better learn the temp variations.

Nice looking smoker! Looks like you've found an excellent home for the SS-2. I know you'll enjoy using it!

I'll definitely enjoy using it! If I forget to put a can under the drip spout again my dog will be enjoying it as well. :doh:

Thanks for taking that old kettle off of my hands. The reclaimed patio space was really needed. I hope you can find someone on base that can put it to good use.

Don't you have enough toys already? I mean, really!

Nice and congrats John, that is a beauty. And nice cooking as well.

Don't you have enough toys already? I mean, really!

Nice and congrats John, that is a beauty. And nice cooking as well.

Yeah Bob, I have enough toys. Family & friends are threatening with a Q intervention! I've actually trying reduce the count a bit this year & I'm actually down 1 cooker.

Wow, Great looking new toy John! Food looks excellent too.:thumb:
You can never have too many smokers. :)

I'll definitely enjoy using it! If I forget to put a can under the drip spout again my dog will be enjoying it as well. :doh:

Thanks for taking that old kettle off of my hands. The reclaimed patio space was really needed. I hope you can find someone on base that can put it to good use.

Will have no problem finding a home for the old Weber! I know there will be a lot of people here that would love to have it. Thanks again!

Congrats on both the cooker and the cook!
Looks fan-farkin-tastic!!!:thumb::clap2:

Congrats! Looks like ya put 'er through the steps quite nicely:clap2:.

That is one fine looking beast! That beef rib you gave me was great. Glad I can be around for handout! Have fun with that thing.

Back