The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   First conversation with health inspector: great news (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144201)

42BBQ 09-18-2012 02:12 AM

First conversation with health inspector: great news

Ill keep this brief. I talked to my local HD inspector today and got great news. I've been looking at dropping between $2000 and $4000 on a self contained, LP powered 4 bay sink setup for farmers market or roadside vending in PA. After some input from Tom Christine from Smoken Dudes I called my inspector.

My inspector said that all I need on site is a hand washing setup with water temps over 100 degrees and three basins/tubs for wash/rinse/sanitize. I don't need an HD certified kitchen as a base of operations. And I don't need an elaborate sink system on site. She also approved the idea of me setting up a three bay sink in my garage with a dedicated hot water heater for after event cleanup.

The plan right now is brisket, pork butts, and ribs from a Meadowcreek TS250. By the pound/rack or on Sammie's with chips and sodas as sides. Might add coleslaw and beans on the side down the line. Hoping to be off the ground in a year.

Smoke & Beers 09-18-2012 09:45 AM

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction!
Best of luck to you!

MAsQue 09-18-2012 02:40 PM

Around here a set up like that would probably get you thrown in jail. (Sigh.)

42BBQ 09-18-2012 03:26 PM

So I've heard, it's nice to go straight to the source and hear first hand what you do and don't need. She was extremely helpful and even suggested the 3 plastic bins setup herself to help me save money. So she's looking out for me too. Definitely a plus. Would $3000 sink be nice to have? Sure! But if I don't need it why get it?

bosshawgs 09-18-2012 05:45 PM

Tom from smoken dudes is the man

smokinturtle 09-21-2012 08:18 PM

hi 42bbq i live in lancaster and am thinking about doing some thing on the weekends any chance you would give me the name and number for her

landarc 09-21-2012 08:34 PM

MAsQUE is where we would be out here as well. But, good for you.

Personally, I much prefer a sturdy table and sink, I hate washing in tubs.

42BBQ 09-21-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 2220765)
MAsQUE is where we would be out here as well. But, good for you.

Personally, I much prefer a sturdy table and sink, I hate washing in tubs.

I appreciate the input. The plan right now is to have a very minimalist approach on site but have a full commercial three bay sink tied into main plumbing in my garage. Ill do most of my actual cleanup from a days work at home. The three basins would be more to satisfy an on site inspection then actual use in the field.

42BBQ 09-22-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinturtle (Post 2220753)
hi 42bbq i live in lancaster and am thinking about doing some thing on the weekends any chance you would give me the name and number for her

Hey buddy, missed this post initially, I'll have to dig it out of my desk in the morning but I will pass it on via PM.

Bbq Bubba 09-22-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42BBQ (Post 2215984)

My inspector said that all I need on site is a hand washing setup with water temps over 100 degrees and three basins/tubs for wash/rinse/sanitize. I don't need an HD certified kitchen as a base of operations. And I don't need an elaborate sink system on site. She also approved the idea of me setting up a three bay sink in my garage with a dedicated hot water heater for after event cleanup.

Why would you bother setting up a wash station in your garage?
Where do you plan to cook? Where will you store your cold supplies?
I honestly think your inspector doesnt have a clue as to what they are informing you on.

42BBQ 09-22-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 2221029)
Why would you bother setting up a wash station in your garage?
Where do you plan to cook? Where will you store your cold supplies?
I honestly think your inspector doesnt have a clue as to what they are informing you on.

The wash station in the garage is to make cleanup from an event easier. If I spend thousands on a portable sink setup, it will likely be so small as to barely be practical to even use on site. The basins on the self contained sinks that I've found seem pretty small.

The sink setup doesn't affect the rest of the overall safety plan I will have in place. The idea now is to transport the meat to the site on ice in coolers. I'll unwrap and prep everything on site. Ill do all my cooking on site. The pit I'll be using has a built in warming box above the firebox to keep finished meat at 160 and up. A combination of the warming box and cooler zones in the smoker will keep food ready to serve. I'll have a totally separate handwashing station with on demand hot water above 100 degrees. The guidelines seem pretty different from state to state so at this point I'm going to trust my inspector and follow her input and advice. However, I appreciate yours as well brother!

Nick's BBQ 09-22-2012 10:48 AM

That's great news. Good Luck!!

Pole D 10-10-2012 09:34 AM

Any update on this 42BBQ?

I used to live in Red Lion and moved down to NC. I can tell you the HD in NC is completely different than PA. Consider yourself lucky.

42BBQ 10-11-2012 01:56 AM

No update right now, in a bit of a holding pattern, got a lot of stuff to line up. Insurance is my next project (at least getting a quote for it).

jacksedona 10-11-2012 04:06 AM

good news! what state are you in?
http://thebarbecuemaster.net