what do you think? Did I turn down something good?

T

Tweedle

We are just started this spring trying to pick up some paid gigs. We have benn doing it for the last couple years under the radar and have started to go legit.

Now the question that i have is this. A new local radio station emailed me and asked if we would be interesed in cooking an employee lunch. At first i was excited and told them we would be happy to talkto them when can we set up a meeting. the responce i got was this.

No need to set up a meeting, we have 6 people at the station and would like ribs and brisket sandwiches for everyone THIS friday. We want to eat around 10 am. If you want to you can come on the air at 9 am after our break and tell everyone about your business. we can give you 30-45 seconds FREE airtime. Yea thats great i thought.

I emailed back that we would like to take to them because we have a contract and would like to discuss pricing because we normally have a 20 person minimum. I was willing to make an exception this time for the free advertising.

The response I got kinda put a sour taste in my mouth. They are not going to pay for it, the payment is the 30-45 seconds free air time! It sounded to me like they are trying to get a free meal.

Radio spots around here run around 18-24 bucks for a 30 second spot unless you run ads everyweek on a schedule, then they are artoun 8-12 a spot. I know this because I also run a store in town and work with the established radio stations in town. now what they wanted me to do would have taken up about 24 hours worth of my time from prep to cooking to setup to takedown, and cost me a little over $300 since i have to buy cases of each item just to serve 6 people. (Thats why I have a 20 person min.)

I sent back an email saying thank you but unfortunatly we are booked right now but maybe we will be able to work something out this summer.
I was thinking we can use a gig/contest that we are already cooking at to throw some stuff on and bring it down to them.

Did I make a wrong move? What are your opinions?

Not the wrong move in my opinion. I doubt if I would have even encouraged them to think I might do it in the future.

A polite "thanks, but no thanks" is exactly right, IMNSHO.

I dabbled in radio broadcasting many moons ago and also sold commercial air time after that and I think you did the right thing as well.

Your time, effort and costs involved are not a fair trade for just one 30 second or 45 second spot; rather a flight of 15 or 20 spots strategically placed over a week or two might have been a more reasonable approach.

Good luck with your business ventures.

Back