The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Substitute Turbinado For Brown Sugar (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29734)

PalmettoSmoke 07-25-2007 06:04 AM

Substitute Turbinado For Brown Sugar

Several of my rubs have light brown sugar in them. What I usually do in order to keep the clumping to a minimum is dry it out first. This is a big pain in the arse when I am making a lot of rub. So...my question is: Can I substitute turbinado sugar for the brown sugar? How do you think it would affect the taste of the rub (if it would). Thanks.

butts a fire 07-25-2007 07:44 AM

I have read many a recipe that calls for turbinado in the rub I would think that you would be fine to substitute it. There could be a slight change in the flavor because of the loss of molasses but it still should taste good possibly better.

YankeeBBQ 07-25-2007 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyboysbbq (Post 433750)
Several of my rubs have light brown sugar in them. What I usually do in order to keep the clumping to a minimum is dry it out first. This is a big pain in the arse when I am making a lot of rub. So...my question is: Can I substitute turbinado sugar for the brown sugar? How do you think it would affect the taste of the rub (if it would). Thanks.

I don't see why not but there is another option.

This unique, pourable brown sugar boasts a delicious, medium molasses flavor and doesn't lump, cake, or harden. Perfect for baking, sprinkling on fruits, cereals, pancakes, and ice cream. Use in all of your favorite recipes. This easy-to-measure brown sugar is a cup for cup replacement for regular light brown sugar. Convenient, great tasting, and easy to use.

http://www.dominosugar.com/products/...rownulated.jpg

backyardchef 07-25-2007 07:51 AM

I like the brownulated and have used it many, many times. It's a totally solid substitute. I like the turbinado sugar, too, but I would go with the brownulated.

91vw03 07-25-2007 08:13 AM

Make a small batch to test it out and see.

PalmettoSmoke 07-25-2007 08:15 AM

thanks. I will try the brownulated sugar.

BBQchef33 07-25-2007 12:48 PM

Heres an explanation of the sugars from a while back.. alot of good threads on the different sugars. Turbinado IS different from the browns, and will yield different results... but probably not all that noticibale unless you used dark brown in the past.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqchef33
Brown sugar and Turbinado are 2 different animals. So this makes a flavor difference too.

Brown sugar, is refined white sugar with molassas added 3-4% for light and 6-7% for dark. All sugar in its rawest state has molassas on it but it is removed in the refining process.

Turbinado, (or Raw sugar or natural Brown sugar), is brown sugar where some of the natural molassas is retained instad of spun off during refining. the percentage of molasas left in turbinado is substantially less than in the lightest Brown sugars. The molassas makes the brown sugars more robust/complex in flavor compared to the sweeter turbinado.

Its the amount of molassas in the 2 sugars that come into play in our craft.. Turbinado will hold up to the longer heat exposure in butts and brisket where a brown sugar will begin to carmelize much sooner in the cook. Brown sugars on the other hand when used on shorter cooks like ribs and chicken will carmelize in the 4-5 hours where turbinado may not unless you pump the temps up.

pulled form this thread

BIGDAWG69 07-25-2007 06:01 PM

I have always heard that brown sugar and turbinado can be substituted for each other in recipes w/o any problem.

Porky 07-26-2007 08:39 AM

I just picked up a package of the brownulated(lite brown) sugar for a $1-14oz size and will try it shortly as a substitute for regular brown sugar in my rubs/recipes.