Critique these baby backs

Pretty hard to judge anything but presentation from pictures, but those look like they have promise.

Yeah, I guess I'm looking for obvious gaffs that a newbie like me might miss!

Look like you will get a call! Good luck.

Where is the comp?

The damned things are moving too fast! But here's my initial impression...

The really straight slab on the right appears to be a good choice.

Your cuts are a little jagged. You need smoother cuts. Don't jack up your bark!

I'm guessing they're a little UNDER cooked if anything, just judging from the bite. The KCBS "standard" is undercooked for most of the public. "Fall off the bone tender" is what they like in a rib. Well, I don't advocate overcooking them but bite marks are ridiculous. As I was told by a person who has been around KCBS since the start, this KCBS standard thing was basically started by one person who began teaching judges that way. Just one person's opinion there... :wink: However, when I stopped trying for bite marks, we started getting a little higher rib scores. FWIW

Nice looking ribs. I'd eat 'em.

Make sure your knife is sharp so you get clean cuts and try to put them back together so they look like they are still one slab if possible.

Those looked pretty good after I figured out how to get rid of the sparklies. ;)

That one with the bite out of it. How easy did the meat come off the bone?

Those looked pretty good after I figured out how to get rid of the sparklies. ;)

That one with the bite out of it. How easy did the meat come off the bone?

It was slightly undercooked. Some tug but not a lot - but it wasn't clean. I used a 2-1-1 method figuring that I would rather undercook in practice.

they look nicely glazed, a hard thing to do. Also, nice job keeping that sheet pan clean, those things are a pain!!

i HATE THOSE ZOOMING PICTURES!!!YOU NEED TO ANNOUCE A WARNING!!! THEY FREAK ME OUT!!!!!!

I would rather undercook in practice.

verrrrryyyy slightly over cook in comp, the meat will tighten up by the time they get to the table...and I'll now get killed privately for telling you that...:smile:

Good lookin' ribs. I especially like the glittery effect in the slide show. It adds just the right bling factor. :-D

John

Back