The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Why should one own so many different types of smokers? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169108)

ericandcandi 08-21-2013 08:55 AM

Why should one own so many different types of smokers?

New to the forum and have been noticing alot of people own a whole variety of smokers. Is it for the type of meat or the kind of fuel that determines what to use? I understand maybe a small family smoker and a larger one for parties. Not wanting to open a can of worms here but is there a general consensus here? E

SmittyJonz 08-21-2013 08:56 AM

It's more of an addiction.......same reason I have 24 Rod n Reels but I'm the only one who fishes in my household........

Goddahavit 08-21-2013 08:56 AM

lol because i can... its fun to cook on different equipment!

aawa 08-21-2013 08:57 AM

Different tools for different applications for most people.

I can't bring myself to get rid of my mini WSM i built from a weber smokey joe and tamale pot. It was what I started on. I am holding onto my friend's till he moves out of his apartment and into a place he can use charcoal.

I have my performers for grilling as well as doing pieces of meat that won't fit in my mini.

And then my UDS is for large quantities of meat.

mlgrant 08-21-2013 08:58 AM

I have two different kinds of smokers, one pellet smoker and two stick burners. The pellet smoker allows me to smoke the bigger cuts of meat, brisket and butts, and still get some sleep.

For the stick burners, I have a big one that I can do a pig in or a lot of food and the small one for just a small family dinner.

thirdeye 08-21-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittyJonz (Post 2596215)
It's more of an addiction.......same reason I have 24 Rod n Reels but I'm the only one who fishes in my household........

Boy, am I with you on that. :biggrin1:

ericandcandi, I like having a variety of choices to fit a particular application or amount of meat. And I have some flavor considerations too (for example I like brisket on my BDS better than any other cooker I have, and usually I do fish in a Big Chief box smoker) Weather is also a big factor for me... in the late fall and throughout the winter my Eggs are my go-to cooker.

SmittyJonz 08-21-2013 09:04 AM

Actually it's because we ( married guys) are only allowed to have ONE woman for EVER- we gotta compensate.........

John Bowen 08-21-2013 09:04 AM

More toys = More Fun!!!!!!!

Love learning and playing with them - you are starting to sound like my wife.

SmokinJohn 08-21-2013 09:05 AM

If your wife is making you ask this question, answer it this way:

"Why do you have so many different pairs of shoes?"

Then duck....

16Adams 08-21-2013 09:08 AM

Mainly because life is short. At mid 50's half the folks in the obituary page are younger. Most of the 70 something's don't cook out or get around to well. Jump in with both feet and get yourself happy. How can you tell when you've reached "happy" in the bbq grilling world? When your wife surprises you with a Primo, when she searches Craigslist for grills while your at work, and takes food photos for you or asks you to take a photo if her plate.

It's all good. If an Hibachi gets you where you want to be in patio culinary world, well I recommend you have at least three ;-)

Arlin_MacRae 08-21-2013 09:12 AM

I've got charcoal pits, wood pits, electric pits, and a ceramic cooker. Different meats go on different pits, and each one generates a different flavor profile. The Traeger is great if I absolutely can't spend the time stirring coals/wood (and it let's you sleep), but the best flavor comes from my stick-burner.
And, for the record - I'm not addicted. I can quit any ti---
HOLY CRAP! THIS GUY ONLY WANTS $20 FOR THAT PIT ON CRAIGS LIST!

:laugh:

ButtBurner 08-21-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16Adams (Post 2596232)
Mainly because life is short. At mid 50's half the folks in the obituary page are younger. Most of the 70 something's don't cook out or get around to well. Jump in with both feet and get yourself happy. How can you tell when you've reached "happy" in the bbq grilling world? When your wife surprises you with a Primo, when she searches Craigslist for grills while your at work, and takes food photos for you or asks you to take a photo if her plate.

It's all good. If a Hibachi gets you where you want to be in patio culinary world, well I recommend you have at least three ;-)

my wife doesnt do any of that.

But I am still happy!!!

I would rather do that stuff anyway :)

Garrett 08-21-2013 09:20 AM

He who dies with the most toys, WINS!!!! It's like using different tools for different jobs. Yeah an adjustable wrench, hammer and WD-40 will fix most things, but a ratchet wrench or a socket and cutting torch works better.

ericandcandi 08-21-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae (Post 2596241)

Now thats funny, I don't care who ya are!

deguerre 08-21-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae (Post 2596241)
I've got charcoal pits, wood pits, electric pits, and a ceramic cooker. Different meats go on different pits, and each one generates a different flavor profile. The Traeger is great if I absolutely can't spend the time stirring coals/wood (and it let's you sleep), but the best flavor comes from my stick-burner.

Get off my lawn! I ain't selling to YOU, MacRae...