How do I build a Firebox Latch? Please show me your pics.

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We are building an offset smoker and looking for ways to make the door latch for the firebox. We like the idea of using a freezer door latch, but we are not sure if it will be heavy enough to withstand the heat. Please post a picture of your firebox latch, so we can get some great build ideas. We appreciate your help.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-20306-Latch-Action-Toggle-Capacity/dp/B004K5YW0K/ref=pd_sbs_indust_2"]Amazon.com: POWERTEC 20306 Latch-Action Toggle Clamp, 2000 lbs Capacity: Home Improvement[/ame]

^^^ These are mine.. do the job great.. the plastic has stayed on also.. it doesn't get hot..

On the NB Hondo. Simple and easy to fab.

P1010012_zpsc586e234.jpg

Best picture I got but we just drilled a hole, put a piece of round bar through it, and bent both ends with a spacer between the outside of the fire box and the "handle". After that we cotter pinned a trampoline spring on it and it stays cool to the touch. All we did was use what was laying around. I bet if u tried to buy all that stuff you'd spend a lot more money than you would buying a latch of some sort. But this one will last forever!

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 159
Best picture I got but we just drilled a hole, put a piece of round bar through it, and bent both ends with a spacer between the outside of the fire box and the "handle". After that we cotter pinned a trampoline spring on it and it stays cool to the touch. All we did was use what was laying around. I bet if u tried to buy all that stuff you'd spend a lot more money than you would buying a latch of some sort. But this one will last forever!

I like the look of your latch but the door Pappy and I are using is 1/2" steel plate. I don't know that we would ba able to drill through it.

Back