Been thinking about winter dishes - andouille

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Fall is a great time to get your appetite up for cooler weather and warm meals. Decided to smoke some homemade andouille today. Made and stuffed yesterday and couldn't smoke until today. Very windy and temps ran much higher than I wanted to smoke at but it turned out very good. Wanted to be about 150 - 175 but stayed about 225. My bud, Smokerdude, stopped by, tasted some, and filled a bag to take home. That's the fun of doing this stuff. Hope everyone has a great week.

Attachments

• IMG_3827.jpg
    IMG_3827.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3829.jpg
    IMG_3829.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 69
They
2w2rkwm.gif
very tasty.

Yep, that is the fun of doing this stuff:thumb:, I'd take a sack home myself:clap2: looks dang good!

Very nice, Meat Burner. Making my mouth water. It's dinner time here and I still haven't figured out what to eat. Care to share the recipe you used?

Sure darth, give me a minute. It is a mild sausage that works well for us in a lot of different dishes. We aren't much on the hot and spicey stuff. We cube the pork, season it, and let it sit in the frig overnight before grinding and stuffing. Also, after stuffing, let it sit in the frig for an hour and then out of the frig for an hour before smoking. May not mean anything but that seems to work for us. Hope you try this and enjoy it.

· 5 pounds pork butt, cut into 1 inch cubes
· 3 Tbs sweet paprika
· 2 Tbs plus 2 tsp of Morton's Tenderquick
· 2 Tbs finely chopped garlic
· 1 Tbs kosher salt
· 1 Tbs white sugar
· 1 Tbs coarsely ground black pepper
· 2 tsp ground red pepper
· 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
· 1/2 tsp dried thyme
· 1/4 tsp ground mace
· ½ tsp sage
· 1/2 cup ice cold water
· hog casings ( appx 10’)

Hope this helps.

Nice sausages you got there Meat, I love andouille for all sorts of cooking.

I will give it another try in a few weeks and see if I can keep the temps down to smoke for 4-5 hours and see if the taste is different. I really don't have the equipment to do it the right way and smoke it for 10 - 12 hours. Still good though.

Back