The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brisket from Wal-Mart? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176816)

Pa_BBQ 12-06-2013 12:33 PM

Brisket from Wal-Mart?

In this rural part of Pa, finding a whole brisket is a major problem. We do not have a Costco, or anything like that around. We do have a Sams but only sell brisket flats and that is what the other grocery stores sell.

Wal-Mart does carry whole briskets all the time and wondering if you put in the work in on them can you get some decent results?

If not may just have to stick to cooking flats. A local store told me that if I gave him a few weeks notice he would order me one. But heck, its usually the spur of the moment that I decide I want one.

sliding_billy 12-06-2013 12:42 PM

Have cooked plenty of Walmart packers. Good ones can be found.

---k--- 12-06-2013 12:43 PM

I cooked 2 or 3 this summer from Walmart. They were all Excel brand Choice grade. They came out good. I didn't see much difference compared to what I get at Restaurant Depot. Any difference was likely due to me.

Garrett 12-06-2013 12:44 PM

I cook briskets from Walmart all the time with good results!! Just have to pick thru the few they have out to get a decent one.

aawa 12-06-2013 12:47 PM

There aint nothin wrong with a little bump and gri... I mean walmart brisket. They cook up just like any other.

Bludawg 12-06-2013 01:03 PM

I cook allot of them Brisket is Brisket Walmart don't make it cheap & inferior, one aint no harder than the next one and I show no prejudice, I cook 'em all the same with equal results.
This is Select grade Walmart meat
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/DSCF0089.jpg

Grimm5577 12-06-2013 01:40 PM

I've cooked them, but haven't done nearly enough briskets to be able to do a good comparison. But they've all been good.

retired trucker 12-06-2013 01:51 PM

Walmart briskets was all I ever cooked for years, until I found this site. Didn't ever think about looking anywhere else. When I started cooking briskets, Walmart was selling them for $.99 a pound. No need to look elsewhere when you could get them for than price. AAAHHH the good ole days!!

Blessings,
Omar

K-Barbecue 12-06-2013 04:45 PM

You have to look at the label. I've found both Choice and Select grades at different Walmarts. I certainly prefer Choice grade.

okiej 12-06-2013 06:00 PM

I cooked several briskets for a wedding recently. Some where CAB from the local grocer and others from WalMart. The ones from Walmart were fine. Not sure I could tell the difference

Shagdog 12-06-2013 06:00 PM

Choice is choice. Walmart choice is the same as Costco choice. It's not a designation that the store gets to make. Sure it ain't prime or wagyu, but most guys don't spend that on an average brisket anyway. I found a really nice looking, limber choice packer there the other day. Can't wait to get some smoke on it tomorrow.

biker.chef 12-06-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shagdog (Post 2720835)
Choice is choice. Walmart choice is the same as Costco choice.

Yup, choice is choice but Walmart sells a lot of beef that ain't CHOICE.
Its USDA inspected but its SELECT or worse.
If you find a CHOICE brisket at Walmart its generally a good deal.

Shagdog 12-06-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker.chef (Post 2720978)
Yup, choice is choice but Walmart sells a lot of beef that ain't CHOICE.
Its USDA inspected but its SELECT or worse.
If you find a CHOICE brisket at Walmart its generally a good deal.

Sorry, yes, I should have specified that... Look for choice if you can. As bludawg says, some guys here have had good luck with select, but I haven't been that brave, especially since my Walmart has choice for 2.38 a lb.

ajstrider 12-07-2013 07:43 AM

I cook wal mart briskets. You just need to learn what to look for. Try and find onr with nice marbling and if the packaging allows, try and bend the ends together. The more flexible the better it turns out, as I was taught. Proper cooking techniques is far more important to me.

PappaOscar 12-07-2013 07:54 AM

I've cooked two from WM. Choice or not, it all depends on the chef.