The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Has anyone tried REAL roadside selling? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114602)

twinsfan 08-24-2011 08:16 PM

Has anyone tried REAL roadside selling?

When I mean REAL roadside, I don't mean urban Home Depot or in a town, I mean if you live on a country road with some decent, not great, traffic and sell your food with some plastic chairs set up. Does the HD super balk on this? I'd spose they would, a shame though.

azken 08-24-2011 08:32 PM

"Hello, I'm from the government and I'm here to help"...one doesn't have to like it or get used to it but that's the status of life in the US today.

twinsfan 08-24-2011 08:36 PM

????

landarc 08-24-2011 09:27 PM

If you live on a country road and sell BBQ with only decent BBQ, you are not going to be in business long, unless your BBQ rocks the world. Everyone needs a hook, convenience is a good one.

I for one, have little interest in sitting in a hut along a road waiting for someone to come on in. Then again, I walked away from cooking when the place was packed and tips were plentiful. So I am not the guy to go to.

twinsfan 08-24-2011 09:28 PM

Good thing I'm a student and I'd be making no money anyways, why not give it a try next summer. Same legality applies? or under the table?

jbrink01 08-24-2011 09:44 PM

Havent you asked this before?

canbbq 08-24-2011 09:49 PM

Only get away with that in the far northern part of Canada. Best customers would be the Polar Bears and they don't tip well.

twinsfan 08-25-2011 06:50 AM

Well, apparently jbrink, people's version of roadside selling is inside a town or industrial complex. SO much different, and I didn't want to necro up a thread.

Bbq Bubba 08-25-2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinsfan (Post 1763245)
Well, apparently jbrink, people's version of roadside selling is inside a town or industrial complex. SO much different, and I didn't want to necro up a thread.

Dude, no different. YOU NEED TO BE LEGAL TO SELL TO THE PUBLIC!!!!

If you want to sell roadside and get somebody sick, go ahead. Just stop asking us for forgiveness. :tsk:

deguerre 08-25-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinsfan (Post 1763013)
Good thing I'm a student and I'd be making no money anyways, why not give it a try next summer. Same legality applies? or under the table?

It's no longer under the table. This is a public forum...

landarc 08-25-2011 01:33 PM

Any time you are feeding the public, regardless of the situation or location, you are subject to regulation. Of course, this would exempt family and friends within a home situation. Otherwise, particularly if you are taking money or services in trade, you are subject to all of the requirements for safety. If you want to run under the table, that is your business, although, you do that and folks get sick, or you provide bad food, you sully everyone else, even those who go by the books.

You will find little support amongst most of the professional Brethren for what you seem to want to do, as they are doing it legally and paying the costs associated with that. I think I can speak for all of the folks currently working professionally, nobody appreciates the illegal taco trucks, sandwich carts and hot dog stands who are taking business by not playing by the rules.

The Cosmic Pig 09-01-2011 12:31 PM

Okay, I'd like to piggy-back on this thread since it's surely about to die anyway and ask a legitimate question about, well, being legitimate! :tsk: How little equipment can you get by with in your trailer if you have it at your commissary? Our church has a better kitchen than most restaurants and, as some have suggested in other threads, I'd like to utilize it to be legal if I decide to start selling to the public. For example, if you have a three basin sink in your commissary are you exempt from having it in your trailer? Thanks in advance for your replies!

jbrink01 09-01-2011 02:39 PM

Pit with a hold function (FEC 500 for me). Commercial Fridge, 3 Hole plus handwash. Hot water. In Franklin County MO.

daverev 09-01-2011 04:26 PM

To be legal here in Ky. this is what we need.

"In order to have a catering business, you must have these things:

*Separate kitchen from the one you use in your home
*3 compartment sink
*Hand Sink
*Mop Sink
*Water Heater
*Space for equipment (Cabinets and Countertops)
*Dry Storage (Nothing can sit on floor)
*No Carpet (Flooring must be able to be mopped)"

The Cosmic Pig 09-01-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrink01 (Post 1772800)
Pit with a hold function (FEC 500 for me). Commercial Fridge, 3 Hole plus handwash. Hot water. In Franklin County MO.

Do you also have to have a generator to power the FEC according to code? And can you substitute a sanitizing solution for the hot water? :confused: