The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Beef over pork or? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86377)

Jeff S. 06-11-2010 05:21 PM

Beef over pork or?

Thinking about using my drum smoker in an upcoming local comp. I have two, but I am thinking I may only have room for one.

If I were to use one drum to do my brisket and pork butt, would you cook the brisket or the pork on the top rack?

Going to do both Hot and fast, so the times wont be that much different.

Any thoughts?

Contracted Cookers 06-11-2010 08:02 PM

side by side and spin. good luck

swamprb 06-11-2010 08:09 PM

^^^^^^
what he said!

Jeff S. 06-11-2010 08:16 PM

16 lb brisky almost takes the whole shelf by itself, thats why I was wondering about the proper order.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ 06-11-2010 08:57 PM

I think its brisket over butts, I am probably wrong but thats what I would do.....

smoke it if ya got it 06-11-2010 09:26 PM

Briskett on top Pork Butts stall out at about 165 or so> Ofcourse the size of the Butt should be close to the same size as the Brisky for this to hold true. I would also add whatever swamprb has to say should be listend to. His expertise should be respected!

Honest Abe 06-11-2010 10:55 PM

Would def. put the brisket on top and butts on bottom.....don't want raw pork juice dripping down onto the beef.

Jeff S. 06-11-2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamprb (Post 1307784)
^^^^^^
what he said!

While very wise, will not provide the answer I seek. The brisket will cover one shelf almost completly, so side by side, although my first choice, will not do.

Looks like brisky over butt rules the day.

Thanks for the input given...

BBQ Grail 06-11-2010 11:20 PM

For convenience I'd go brisket over butt. However, for flavor I'd put butts over brisket. There should be absolutely not risk of anything with today's properly cooked pork products.

Remember, Pork Fat Rules!

Ford 06-12-2010 06:31 AM

It probably doesn't matter which is on top. No scientific evidence that pork fat is absorbed by the brisket. No contamination issues because it's in a pit that is hot. In my FE I usually put pork on the top and bottom shelves and briskets on the 2 middle shelves.

KC_Bobby 06-12-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honest Abe (Post 1307888)
Would def. put the brisket on top and butts on bottom.....don't want raw pork juice dripping down onto the beef.

I'd say let pork juice drip on everything - nectar of the BBQ gods.

Although I've never used a UDS so if the direct heat is an issue with briskets on the lower shelf, the pork would be more forgiving.

LMAJ 06-12-2010 12:08 PM

I usually run this way.
Chicken on the bottom, then beef, and pork on top.
NOW - there are theories that as long as everything is cooked to temp it doesn't matter what drips on what.... I still go chicken on the bottom.

Scottie 06-12-2010 12:38 PM

I would do brisket on the bottom, fat side down. Pork top. As Bob said, pork fat rules.

Solidkick 06-12-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie (Post 1308072)
I would do brisket on the bottom, fat side down. Pork top. As Bob said, pork fat rules.

Agreed....but your bark on your brisket may not set up as well...

Ford 06-12-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMAJ (Post 1308059)
I usually run this way.
Chicken on the bottom, then beef, and pork on top.
NOW - there are theories that as long as everything is cooked to temp it doesn't matter what drips on what.... I still go chicken on the bottom.

Per Servsafe as long as the meat below the chicken is cooked to above 155F and as long as it's not pulled 5 minutes after putting on the chicken it's fine. Having stated this I'd still prefer not to have raw chicken dripping on other meats. In the fridge chicken should always go on the bottom shelf so it can't drip on anything. If above other meat that meat automatically needs to be cooked to 155 to be safe. HD will cite you for incorrect cold storage.

Now if cooking rare beef (tri-tip, steaks, etc) then it's a different story as the beef would not be cooked to the safe temp of 155 for chicken. And that brings up another point. Any beef/pork cooked under 145 will contain bacteria. That's why the warning on all menu's about rare beef.