The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Money muscle . (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75126)

Contracted Cookers 12-28-2009 07:26 PM

Money muscle .

Was wondering if anybody else. had up and down scores. useing only the muscle for center attraction.

Buster Dog BBQ 12-28-2009 07:34 PM

I did. Of our 10 contest I had five top 10's, three in the middle, and two DAL. I think did include pulled with mine but the money muscle was the center piece. I think it was more to do with over injecting the muscle for the size it was then the presentation as I have seen some real nice presentations with pork.

Sledneck 12-28-2009 08:38 PM

Here ya go http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ghlight=mutant

Contracted Cookers 12-28-2009 08:44 PM

The reason why I posted this was. overheard a couple of judges saying they did not think the muscle was cooked with butt as a solid piece.

Sledneck 12-28-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contracted Cookers (Post 1127838)
The reason why I posted this was. overheard a couple of judges saying they did not think the muscle was cooked with butt as a solid piece.

Oh boy here we go:eek:

Alexa RnQ 12-28-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contracted Cookers (Post 1127838)

Isn't that an issue for the table captain and Rep to determine whether a DQ is in order, rather than for individual judges to "punish" the cook for their assumption by issuing low scores?

Contracted Cookers 12-28-2009 08:58 PM

yes it is . I know

Jeff_in_KC 12-28-2009 09:32 PM

Honestly, the money muscle seems to be the most difficult part of the butt to cook. Because we trim them so that it kinda sticks out there on the end, it is susceptible to being burnt or at the least overcooked. If I get a really nice one and I catch it at about 180 to 185 degrees, the whole butt is done as far as I'm concerned. I cook four so I have planty to leave on to bring closer to 200.

Skip 12-28-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledneck (Post 1127839)
Oh boy here we go:eek:

Hahahahaha!!! :icon_shy:icon_shy:icon_shy

Jacked UP BBQ 12-28-2009 09:48 PM

I never cook mine connected, I always part my butts before they reach internal temp, if you call it cheating, catch me!!!!!!

PatioDaddio 12-28-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS (Post 1127908)
I never cook mine connected, I always part my butts before they reach internal temp, if you call it cheating, catch me!!!!!!

Uh oh... Here we really go... :icon_bugeyed :icon_shy I'm sure Paul Kirk will be on here soon to edumacate us all. :icon_shock1:

John

Plowboy 12-28-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC (Post 1127884)
Honestly, the money muscle seems to be the most difficult part of the butt to cook. Because we trim them so that it kinda sticks out there on the end, it is susceptible to being burnt or at the least overcooked. If I get a really nice one and I catch it at about 180 to 185 degrees, the whole butt is done as far as I'm concerned. I cook four so I have planty to leave on to bring closer to 200.

There's a class coming up in your area the end of March that could teach you how to cook a whole butt to 200 degrees and turn in sliced pork as well as pulled... all from the same butt.

Now THERE'S some KCBS education! Hey, I should be able to get a free ad in the Bullsheet for cooking classes. Thanks, Paul Kirk!

Sledneck 12-28-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 1127904)
Hahahahaha!!! :icon_shy:icon_shy:icon_shy

Does the MM smell different if cooked separate rathen than whole?

Jeff Hughes 12-29-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS (Post 1127908)

And that's something to be proud of?

Jacked UP BBQ 12-29-2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes (Post 1128021)
And that's something to be proud of?

It was a joke....thanks for understanding....I do not even use the money muscle, it is completely overrated imo. I will stick to my NEW pork recipe that has been doing very well with the butt in tact from beginning to end.