The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wrecked some Chicken Wings today (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150924)

DadDoolz 01-05-2013 07:47 PM

Wrecked some Chicken Wings today

2 Attachment(s)
Started off with good intentions. Wanted to make something to chew on during the football games starting at 4:30 today.
Had the wife get a bag of chicken wings from Costco. They were frozen. Defrosted the wings and got a rub recipe from a friend. All was going well.:-o
Applied rub and let set until WSM was ready to go.
Attachment 74226

Got the WSM going, only thing different from my attempts at smoking meat was I did not use lump charcoal. I used Kingsford Competition briquettes.
No big deal.:razz:

Got the WSM rocking at a temp between 265 and 290. Maverick reading and reporting all the way. Water pan at half inch from top. Apple wood for this smoke. :clap:

Wings go on. An hour into the smoke I check and it seems the wings still need some more cooking time. Grate temp is still about 275 and smoke and water are doing fine. :biggrin1:

Hour and a half, I add some wood for some more smoke. The thin blue line had stopped so I figured to give it a little kick. Water pan is doing great.
Also added a few handful of charcoal to pick up the temp a bit. It was lagging around 250.:decision:

At 2 hours I planned on taking off wings to put them on gas grill to crisp up the skin a bit.

When I opened the top of the WSM I knew there was no putting them on a gas grill. They were done. And When I Say They Were Done, I mean they were done. Great color, but shrunk to a pigeon wing size type meat.:oops:

Well I did not plan on using a sauce with these wings so I just offered them up to the family and let them have at it.

My family is great. They ate them all. Even though they were a little be over done. The skin was crisp and the seasoning was still intact.
Was not perfect, or what I was planning but they were consumed.:caked:
Attachment 74227

Live and learn

BTW That was a Captain Lawrence Winter Ale in the UMass glass behind wings.

I should have pulled them off the WSM at the hour and a half mark. Would have been perfect.
OH Well Next Time...... And Yes There will be a next time........lol:blah:

IamMadMan 01-05-2013 07:50 PM

We have all learned by our mistakes, and from those who have shared their misfortunes.

Glad they were still edible..

Freddy j 01-05-2013 07:54 PM

Actually look very good

Boshizzle 01-05-2013 08:00 PM

"I 'ate it when tha 'appens! (Cockney mod)

Either way, bro, they must have been tasty because everyone ate them with no complaints! Congrats!

landarc 01-05-2013 08:14 PM

They look edible to me, you made food, not all bad

bwsawman 01-05-2013 08:33 PM

They look pretty good to me.

I have a couple of questions. I have never used lump charcoal but do not understand how it would have turned out different. You kept track of the temps and water pan. Doesn't lump normally burn a bit hotter and would have been "overdone" sooner? What is the difference between competition briquettes and regular charcoal?

Homebrewed Q 01-05-2013 09:55 PM

That's about the only way I eat wings anymore, smoked and a little sauce at the end. Those look just fine to me, but I like mine a little more on the well done side. I smoked some about 8 or 9 football Sunday's this season, and thats the way mine come out. Keep at it, you'll get them down to the way you like them...........and don't overthink things, keep it simple....

cholloway 01-05-2013 10:24 PM

If you feel you learned something from it, it's not a failure. The wings look good to me.

DadDoolz 01-06-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwsawman (Post 2318330)
They look pretty good to me.

I have a couple of questions. I have never used lump charcoal but do not understand how it would have turned out different. You kept track of the temps and water pan. Doesn't lump normally burn a bit hotter and would have been "overdone" sooner? What is the difference between competition briquettes and regular charcoal?

To tell you the truth, I just put that in the post as useless info. I feel the lump gets going easier compared to briquettes IMHO. As far as burning hotter, I have not found any real difference. The competition stuff is suppose to be all natural and burn hotter than regular Kingsford charcoal. Had the bag sitting around and was real low on lump. Saved me a trip to the store so I went with the Kingsford. :-D

lastmajordude 01-06-2013 08:53 AM

I've made so many bad things that when I make one I can still eat.......I WIN!!!!

bigabyte 01-06-2013 09:21 AM

Those look good rom here!:hungry:

Mason Dixon Bowhunta 01-06-2013 04:41 PM

Looks good to me