First Fatty - Pizza Style

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
If you gonna go, better to go big. I decided to try a Pizza Fatty for my first attempt. 1.5 pounds of spicy Jimmy Dean into a Ziploc bag. Spread a layer of smoked Tomato Pesto as my sauce. A good sprinkling of Slap Yo Mama to kick it up. A layer of Pepperoni topped with some Mozzarella cheese. Added some sauteed onions and mushrooms along with strips of red bell pepper that I charred on the grill, steamed, and then peeled.

I go to roll this beast up and I realize my mistake. Too many toppings. I had to peel a little off and then force it to mold together. Due to this, the seam didn't really want to stick together.

And, because it was larger, it didn't really fit on Cowgirl's Bacon Weave as planned. I ended up putting the fatty seam side down in the middle of the weave and then rolling it over so that the seam was up, but covered by the weave. I tucked the rest of the weave in as best as I could, but I am not sure how "pretty" this is going to be.

I rolled it over onto a foil covered plate. I sprinkled a little of my pork rub on the top for an extra flavor. It's now wrapped and resting in the fridge.

I plan to cook it tomorrow and I'll post pictures of the cook then. I plan on setting the foil onto the grill at least until the fatty starts firming up. I will have to make some slits in the foil so that the grease drains. I was thinking of a thinned tomato sauce glaze, we'll see...

Try not to laugh... :doh:

Attachments

• fatty 1.jpg
    fatty 1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 303
  • fatty 2.jpg
    fatty 2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 302
  • fatty 3.jpg
    fatty 3.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 302
  • fatty 4.jpg
    fatty 4.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 303
  • fatty 5.jpg
    fatty 5.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 303
  • fatty 6.jpg
    fatty 6.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 302
  • fatty 7.jpg
    fatty 7.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 302
  • fatty 8.jpg
    fatty 8.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 303
Thanks y'all. More pics this afternoon when I throw her on the smoker...

I am as anxious as y'all to start cooking it. Something in the back of my mind says it is going to fall apart on me. I am hoping that is just nerves.

I can search, but if anyone knows off the top of their head the cook temp and IT for fatty's, I'd appreciate it.

For a stuffed fatty I go to 165F IT.
Fatties do not benefit from low and slow cooking so I do mine at 300F or above.

I also crank the heat up at the end to crisp the bacon. I don't like limp bacon. :)

Cool. I'll probably fire up the WSM around 5 today. No IQ needed. Just open her up and see where she runs at. Haven't done that since I got all my gaskets in place, so it'll be a good test of those.

I mentioned cooking it on foil. I have a SS grill pan with grease cut outs.. I am going to try to gently move it to that. Don't want the bottom getting soggy. Grill pan from when I made meatloaf:

attachment.php

Mmmm... Meatloaf. Need to make that again... :mrgreen:

Going to start a little later than planned, but it's Friday, no big deal.

I forgot to ask, should I remove the water pan from my WSM and go direct, or keep it (empty) and use it as a deflector?

Mid-cook Pron. About an hour in and sitting about 110* IT. WSM chugging along at around 280* with all vents full open. I guess I know what temp my next brisket will be cooked at...

Attachments

• fatty 9.jpg
    fatty 9.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 100
Back