• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ranchers Reserve Beef?

Wneill20

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Have you guys tried it, what do you think? I have a catering gig this weekend and usually buy CAB Tri Tips from SAMs Club at $5.99 lb but my local Von's has Ranchers Reserve Tri Tip for $2.99 lb should I try it? The last thing I want is a tough pice of meat.
Thanks

I buy ranchers reserve from safeway her on the east coast ( not sure if it is the same thing?) and its always spot on.

I personally don't like Rancher's Reserve from Vons on this coast. For the benefit of the doubt I tried numerous times of different cuts with less than desirable results. I steer clear of Vons beef especially Ranchers Reserve. I would stick with Sams for a gig.

CAB is the better cut of beef. Ranchers Reserve is select beef, that is wet aged in cold storage, which aids in making it a little more tender. However, CAB will typically be better marbled. I say typically, in that sometimes, we see some really nice, well marbled tri-tip from RR at Safeway up here.

I cooked a Ranchers Reserve brisket a while back.. it was nothing special IMO.

I would find a nice select or prime provider and make friends - you may pay a little more, but your product will stand out. No reason to use waygu or any of those fancy beefs for a matter of fact as usda prime rocks. If you are forced into using a lesser quality such as select, then I would smoke it and wrap it up tight to braise it a bit for tenderness and to hold some moisture. Tri-tip I wouldn't touch anything but prime for myself (IMHO).

For a paying gig, stick with what you know. Experiment at home, not for a customer.

As Landarc said, Rancher's Reserve is Select meat that Safeway then applies their "special process" to. Look at each piece carefully for marbling because that's what counts. The are not my first choice by any means.

I have become addicted to Wagyu tri-tip, if you can get it, it is amazing. But, I would need a LOT of money to cater with it. Choice or CAB is what I would cater for an mid to higher catering gig. For something larger or more casual, Select is just fine. It would all depend on what I am getting paid. If the price is under $15 a person, I am going to go Select, as that is what they paid for. I would also them marinade them for a day, as that is a better way to get a lot of tri-tips done for a lower cost and still rock the flavor. For more money, Choice or CAB and dry rub is what I would try and sell.

I personally don't like Rancher's Reserve from Vons on this coast. For the benefit of the doubt I tried numerous times of different cuts with less than desirable results. I steer clear of Vons beef especially Ranchers Reserve. I would stick with Sams for a gig.

Same here. Never a fan of Vons Rancher Reserve meats. Usually go with costco myself. Sams is good too but a bit far for me.

CAB is the better cut of beef. Ranchers Reserve is select beef, that is wet aged in cold storage, which aids in making it a little more tender. However, CAB will typically be better marbled. I say typically, in that sometimes, we see some really nice, well marbled tri-tip from RR at Safeway up here.
Great post! did not know this-- I thought it was a marketing term stores used for prime- so good to know!

Back