Question about Finishing a Brisket

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Greetings...

I have a question about finishing up a brisket cook... When I'm finished cooking it and let it rest in the cooler, Is it OK to let the brisket completely cool in the cooler if I plan to slice it and vacuum seal all of the meat or do I need to slice it after it has rested for a while and it's still warm?

You should only let it cool to 140. Once it drops below 140, you want it to cool off fast to room temp and then refrigerated as soon as possible.

I think the slices for vacu-sealing are the best if you get it refrigerated before slicing. All those juices get locked in that way.

You should only let it cool to 140. Once it drops below 140, you want it to cool off fast to room temp and then refrigerated as soon as possible.

I think the slices for vacu-sealing are the best if you get it refrigerated before slicing. All those juices get locked in that way.

Excellent... thanks for the info. When the meat cools to 140 I'll just foil it again and put it in the fridge. I'm gonna separate the point and make burnt ends but I'd rather 'solidify' the flat so I can slice it a little thinner. I find it a little more difficult to make thin slices while its hot....

I would not foil it a second time for cooling, the foil will hold the heat in. Use heavy plastic wrap, it allows for faster cooling while not allowing fluid loss. Or those big ziploc bags.

I'm still going to school on everybody else's cook. Although the brisket is now on hold until I get a chuckie under my belt. Thanks for the heads up about the plastic, Bob. :smile:

I would not foil it a second time for cooling, the foil will hold the heat in. Use heavy plastic wrap, it allows for faster cooling while not allowing fluid loss. Or those big ziploc bags.

Works for me...

Back