Number of guests?

elvis67

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am cooking for about 30 people this weekend. I never reeally have got a handle on amount of food to serve. In the past I have just made a hellava lot of food and called it good. Troube is this year I am thinking there might be a few more people attending my party. Original folks I invited are bringing friends with them I was not expecting, I don't mind but I want everyone to get enough and not run out. So, I have two 12 to 13lb briskets, two 8lb butts, and 10 lb bag of leg quarters. Also tater salad, beans, corn on cob, and couple other salads. So does anyone have any guesstimation how may folks I can feed on that?

Quite a few but I would separate the leg quarters into drums and thighs just to be safe.

Excluding chicken, you are starting out with approximately 40#'s of meat. Even if you have 40% shrinkage you will have 24#'s of meat, which for 30 people equals more than 3/4# per person, which is plenty. With 45 people you are still at 1/2# per person mark. With sides, and with I'm guessing half the guests being women, you should be fine.

Sounds like a good balanced menu. For my wifes birthday a few weeks back, I did one 15 lb Brisket and two 9 lb Butts and had Armadillo Eggs on reserve. The Brisket dissapeared real quick, I think about half of the first butt was gone when I ran out of Brisket. This may be because I don't serve Brisket as often, but people sure did love it.

Back