American Royal 2018 schedule?

rikun

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi there,

Looks like the sign-up opens in a few days for AR 2018.

Could someone tell me what the schedule is with invitational & open? Standard KCBS schedule? I'm sure it does't change much from year to year, but I couldn't find last year's infos anymore on the site...

I need to book our flights asap since there is good deal, and would need a ballpark figure when we can leave on Sunday after the ceremony...

EDIT:

Okay found it with Wayback machine, Open awards should be over by 6 pm and everyone needs to be out by 10 pm.. Hmmm.

Another question, on the AR rules they say the head cook/team must be exactly the same that cooked the GC winning contest? Is this enforced strictly?

For a two-man team the long turn-in walk could prove problematic...

Last edited:
Hi there,

Looks like the sign-up opens in a few days for AR 2018.

Could someone tell me what the schedule is with invitational & open? Standard KCBS schedule? I'm sure it does't change much from year to year, but I couldn't find last year's infos anymore on the site...

I need to book our flights asap since there is good deal, and would need a ballpark figure when we can leave on Sunday after the ceremony...

EDIT:

Okay found it with Wayback machine, Open awards should be over by 6 pm and everyone needs to be out by 10 pm.. Hmmm.

Another question, on the AR rules they say the head cook/team must be exactly the same that cooked the GC winning contest? Is this enforced strictly?

For a two-man team the long turn-in walk could prove problematic...

You can bring all the people you want. The Head Cook of the qualifying team must be there. we always have a few extra team members for that reason.

You can bring all the people you want. The Head Cook of the qualifying team must be there. we always have a few extra team members for that reason.

Well hot d*mn...

I read this from the international qualifying criteria and thought it meant the whole team should exactly be the same:

The team eligible and entered to compete in the American Royal Invitational MUST be the same team and Chief Cook who won the qualifying contest. Only the documented Grand Champion combination will be invited. No pass downs will be accepted.

Also, does anyone know what this means:

Teams that are in the International Circle do not have to turn in additional proteins at no additional cost. The scores from Open Meat judging will be used to rank the International contestants.

Does it mean that contestants in that village don't need to enter any proteins in Invitational? And they get judged by Open only? Or WTF?

Anyone suggest signing up for an "Space X" with RV? One could fit the RV also on space B if no electricity/water hookup is needed, so just wondering...

Also why would anyone need to buy Straw bales :roll: Are they meant just for decoration purposes or...?

In regards to the International Circle, the Royal gives out an award to the top International Team. What this is saying is that you will not have to turn in another set of boxes for that particular contest. They will simply use your scores from the Open to determine the rankings for the International award.

Space size will be based upon the size of your RV and the amount equipment you need to fit in. Water is available on site, but actual hook-ups are only available in very specific sites. The racetrack has a handful of RV pads that house the race team's tour buses during race weekends. I think those spots also come with dedicated 50 amp power.

Teams use those bales for decor and seating. It's normally the party sites that have them. No need to get them if you don't have a specific need.

Aha got it. No way I could have figured that out on my own :roll:

I still don't get it why they want us to select if we'd like to be part of international circle or not, what's there to lose?

Just about to finish our sign-up...

Just wondering, are there any showers at all for the competitors? I'm thinking no, since many teams bring RV in there?

Just about to finish our sign-up...

Just wondering, are there any showers at all for the competitors? I'm thinking no, since many teams bring RV in there?

I think your sign up is the same as everyone else’s. I was also asked if I wanted to be part of international circle and had to decline since I’m a domestic team lol. Also, there are showers on site, but they are limited. Most bring RVs because it is what we are accustomed to cooking out of, plus gives us all the normal comforts of home.

Yes, but I have a choice to be a part of international circle or not and I have no idea what to tick on that. So ticking "yes" means we'll be part of the international contest OR that they will place us with other teams outside US in a specific international area?

Showers make me feel warm inside, there's been only one contest where I was able to shower before prize ceremony lol...

I think your sign up is the same as everyone else’s. I was also asked if I wanted to be part of international circle and had to decline since I’m a domestic team lol. Also, there are showers on site, but they are limited. Most bring RVs because it is what we are accustomed to cooking out of, plus gives us all the normal comforts of home.

I think you misheard. They asked if you wanted to be part of the “International BBQ Superstar Circle”. This would place you between Blane Hunter and Joe Pearce.

Back