Back to Burnt Ends

johnlewis469

Reaction score
The last topic on this was really great, but I have two questions I would still like to put out there on this. Ok, so it's agreed, if the burnt ends are awesome put them in, anything less than that, and leave them out. So, after that, question #1
Do you feel that including burnt ends are necessary in certain regions of the country (like Kansas City for example), and how far out of a radius from that area, are the judges still looking and expecting that in a box?

question #2: Sauced or just cubed point, and does that depend on the region also?

Thanks everyone!

The last topic on this was really great, but I have two questions I would still like to put out there on this. Ok, so it's agreed, if the burnt ends are awesome put them in, anything less than that, and leave them out. So, after that, question #1
Do you feel that including burnt ends are necessary in certain regions of the country (like Kansas City for example), and how far out of a radius from that area, are the judges still looking and expecting that in a box?

question #2: Sauced or just cubed point, and does that depend on the region also?

Thanks everyone!

I don't "expect" burnt ends to be turned in, and don't score up or down because they are included or not when I judge. It has been discussed elsewhere that taste and tenderness scores could be affected depending on the quality of the burnt ends, and I have judged turn ins that would have been better scored without the burnt ends. I don't recall judging when the burnt ends themselves helped the overall score of the entry. Usually if the cook can nail sliced brisket he can create a pretty good burnt end also. I live 250 miles west of Kansas City, right in the center of Kansas, and I would say most of the "good" judges I know have similar expectations.

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
Judging in VA, NC, SC, GA, and AZ I've seen BEs in some boxes and not in others. There doesn't seem to me to be an "area" where they are a "must", but then I've not judged in KC or TX (YET!) so I might be wrong. What I can say is that I've judged MANY more GOOD BEs than bad ones! I haven't come across a box of nothing but BEs yet.

We cook BEs just because we don't want to toss them...however, we don't even look at them until after Brisket turn-in. That way we don't have to make the decision to turn them in or not. In the past there were times we thought they were excellent, along with the slices. Then we would get lower scores in brisket and we were scratching our heads - did they not like the BEs or the slices. If you only turn in slices you know what they didn't lile.

Oh and we mostly cook within 2 or 3 hours of KC.

My teammate's only job during brisket turn-in at our last contest was to make sure I didn't put burntends in the box. He succeeded... we walked 6th of 49...

Lesson learned.

Haven't noticed a difference in scores with or without up here...:cool:

The Golden Rule, only put meat the box that is Great, if the burnt ends are not great leave them out. My feeling is if they are the box they are fair game for judging. If the brisket you cooked is real bad just chop it and sauce it, had had a few top three calls that way.

Back