The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Turkey for reheat (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276877)

midwest_kc 11-13-2019 11:10 AM

Turkey for reheat

I have had some clients inquire about smoked turkey for Thanksgiving - enough it's worth my time to do it for them - so I'm going to give it a go. My plan is to cook it before hand for them to heat and eat. What would be the best way to package/have them reheat?

I don't have, nor have I looked into what the HD requires, a commercial vacuum sealer. I do want them to have the best experience possible with their family.

Any advice?

kurtsara 11-13-2019 07:34 PM

Do you have insurance if they handle it wrong and get there guests sick?

midwest_kc 11-14-2019 09:22 AM

I have our catering insurance which covers food borne illness.

kurtsara 11-15-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwest_kc (Post 4244871)
I have our catering insurance which covers food borne illness.

I always wonder how people handle stuff once you give it to them, how do you know they don’t go shopping at Home Depot for an hour and then go home? The bad thing is it always comes back to your name But that’s what insurances for

HBMTN 11-15-2019 10:02 PM

I'd suggest having them pick it up hot and sign a pick-up form that would have wording which stated the food was properly hot held when they picked it up. Below that I'd maybe have the food safe cooling instructions along with the proper reheat instructions with safe time and temperature guides.

HBMTN 11-15-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtsara (Post 4245000)
I always wonder how people handle stuff once you give it to them, how do you know they don’t go shopping at Home Depot for an hour and then go home? The bad thing is it always comes back to your name But that’s what insurances for

I used to worry about this too but then I realized that millions of people go through drive-thru windows daily and get food and many don't handle it safely. If someone gets sick from a turkey you sold them but you sold 50 birds that day and the other 49 families were all good then it would clearly show where the liability and improper handling laid. Now if 150 people from 30 families showed up in the emergency room and all ate turkey from your catering business then you might have a big problem.

ynotfehc 11-16-2019 09:03 PM

It's easy to avoid an insurance claim if properly cook, chill and hold your food. Keep records. If you do this regularly, buy a thermometer with a data logger. Prove the mistake wasn't on your end if you have records.
I've done this a few times. I will usually cook in a foil pan and wrap, preserving all the juices. I separate the fat from the au jus and return it to the pan with the bird, over-wrap with foil after chilled. The pan juices keep the bird moist during reheat.