The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Carolina style? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166653)

Damn True 07-23-2013 07:27 PM

Carolina style?

I was stationed in North Carolina (near the banks) in the infancy of my BBQ appreciation life. ....Over 20yrs ago...yikes....

While there I enjoyed much of what crossed my plate. I understand that there is a distinct difference between eastern and western Carolina style BBQ. What are the key differences and can someone point me toward some representative rub & sauce recipes? I'd like to add this to my tool kit.

buttburnersbbq 07-23-2013 07:49 PM

Eastern Carolina style is all vinegar base sauces and Western Carolina style is ketchup base sauces.

jgbmgb 07-23-2013 07:50 PM

Eastern NC is vinegar based sauce. Western NC is more tomato based.

Basic Eastern NC Sauce:
3 parts (cups) Apple Cider Vinegar
1 part (cup) Ketchup
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 TBSP Salt
1 TBSP Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper to taste

landarc 07-23-2013 07:55 PM

Eastern is whole hog, chopped fine, vinegar based sauce

Western is whole shoulder or butts, pulled or coarse chop, vinegar with ketchup added

Both are very good.

Damn True 07-23-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgbmgb (Post 2562588)

Basic Eastern NC Sauce:
1 part (cup) Ketchup
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 TBSP Salt
1 TBSP Pepper

Is that traditionally served along side the ribs to be spooned over by diners or is it applied during the cook? I recall getting it both ways during my stay there but don't recall which was more common.

Same sorta sauce for pulled pork?

How about rubs?

letdasmokeroll 07-23-2013 08:11 PM

OR... take the central NC style ...pulled (not chopped) pork with the vinegar sauce ..((shrugs))

creekwalker 07-23-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Basic Eastern NC Sauce:
1 part (cup) Ketchup
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 TBSP Salt
1 TBSP Pepper

That looks like a "western," or Piedmont style, sauce to me...I would expect an Eastern sauce to have less (or no) ketchup and sugar.

And I've seldom heard of any NC style sauce being primarily tomato based, as a couple of people have posted. HOWEVER, I've read and heard a lot of confusing things on this subject, and I live in sort of a confused area. (Have heard Raleigh referred to as the "DMZ" and I'm right next door.)

letdasmokeroll 07-23-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Basic Eastern NC Sauce:
1 part (cup) Ketchup
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 TBSP Salt
1 TBSP Pepper

not a bad start but NO ketchup ..add a lil cayenne and a splash of hot sauce and you got it :clap2:

N8man 07-23-2013 08:36 PM

This is the table sauce of a lot of barbecue joints around here...The Piedmont

http://overwroughtmusings.files.word...pete.jpg?w=510

and this is a good representation of eastern style sauce...

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5035562455861364&pid=1.7

for western style try this...

• 1 cup distilled vinegar (do not use cider vinegar)
  • ¼ cup ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • ½ tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

Garrett 07-23-2013 09:10 PM

That Scott's is goood for store bought!

IamMadMan 07-23-2013 09:19 PM

Where does the Carolina mustard based sauce come from???

NeuseRvrRat 07-23-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn True (Post 2562595)
Is that traditionally served along side the ribs to be spooned over by diners or is it applied during the cook? I recall getting it both ways during my stay there but don't recall which was more common.

Same sorta sauce for pulled pork?

How about rubs?

traditional eastern NC style bbq is just a whole hog chopped. everything is chopped, including the ribs. they will lightly sauce the chopped pork and usually they have a bottle of sauce on the table if you want more. the sauce shouldn't include any ketchup. go west for that. cider vinegar, crushed red pepper, black pepper, salt, and brown sugar is a good place to start. i like a few dashes of texas pete in the sauce, too.

i'm a Wayne County, NC native. it's generally thought of as the heart of eastern NC bbq country.

mustard based sauce is a South Carolina thing

i could write pages upon pages about NC and its bbq culture. i spent 4 years in school in raleigh and eastern vs. western style is a huge debate up there. once you get east of I-95, it's no debate, though. vinegar reigns down here. in my opinion, what's even better than traditional chopped is a whole hog pig picking with vinegar based sauce. we usually chop whatever is left.

jgbmgb 07-23-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letdasmokeroll (Post 2562623)
not a bad start but NO ketchup ..add a lil cayenne and a splash of hot sauce and you got it :clap2:

I need to correct myself. The "original" eastern NC sauce was nothing but ACV, Salt, Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper and maybe a dash of hot sauce. Growing up our family was the largest hog producer in eastern NC in the 70's. Travelled to lots of "pig pickins" back then with my dad. You never saw any pink or red color to the sauce. I have noticed over the past few years at NC Pork Council whole hog comps that the sauce on the cookers layouts have had a lot more red color to them than old days. A few of the guys cooking and doing well at these comps are the ones that gave me the Basic sauce recipe I first posted. I have had many compliments on this sauce whenever we do big cooks. If you want an excellent mustard sauce for pulled pork search for Roxy's SC Mustard Sauce. It is awesome!!

aawa 07-23-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamMadMan (Post 2562705)
Where does the Carolina mustard based sauce come from???

South Carolina

jgbmgb 07-23-2013 10:49 PM

Better yet heres the recipe for you:

Mustard Vinegar Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes