First Competition this past weekend

Bbqin fool

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey all. My first comp was this past weekend in Boydton, Va. It was not sanctioned but they ran it with KCBS rules and are sanctioning it within the next two years. They had brisket, pork and ribs. Chicken will be added next year. I took the whole family, camped on the courthouse lawn and did my best to really incorporate the kids into the competition atmosphere. My wife built the boxes and did a fabulous job. Long story short, we did better than I ever imagined. 2nd place overall, 3rd in ribs, 3rd in pork and 1st in brisket! Absolutely had a blast and definitely have been bitten by the competition bug lol. Big thanks to all who have helped me to get to this point and to all the brethren who keep this wonderful sure so inviting and helpful. Specific thanks to Boshizzle, Lake Dogs and 5-0 BBQ.
Here are the pics of the boxes and awards. Thanks again brethren!

Attachments

• IMG_20130824_140948.jpg
    IMG_20130824_140948.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20130824_143737.jpg
    IMG_20130824_143737.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20130824_151213.jpg
    IMG_20130824_151213.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20130824_160403.jpg
    IMG_20130824_160403.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 214
Congrats! Great job!

I see only 5 slices and 5 burnt ends in the brisket box. Even though they used KCBS rules they didn't require 6 pieces?

Congrats! Great job!

I see only 5 slices and 5 burnt ends in the brisket box. Even though they used KCBS rules they didn't require 6 pieces?

There are technically 10 pieces in that box, so more than enough..............:behindsofa:

There are technically 10 pieces in that box, so more than enough..............:behindsofa:

Tell that to judge number 6 after everyone else takes a slice and a burnt end :-D

Of course, judge number 6 would have his/her score dropped anyway :becky:

SUPER JOB!!! Congrats! Particularly, I like the pics with the kids in 'em. I'm jealous. I didnt start until my kids were much older and they to date haven't had any interest in competing or cooking, but they sure seem to love EATING... ****ed kids...

Seriously, way to go!!!

I really like this thread. Congrats on the cook and having your family involved. That brisket looks amazing, great job!

FYI: Y'all, if he'll ever market his sauce, you simply must try it. That last round I tasted is still very memorable. I know I'll buy it if/when it becomes available.

Tell that to judge number 6 after everyone else takes a slice and a burnt end :-D

Of course, judge number 6 would have his/her score dropped anyway :becky:

This is definitely an interesting point (and I really would need to sidebar it as to not derail), but since there are 10 distinguishable pieces would the first 5 judges be allowed to take everything leaving the 6th judge with nothing? Doesn't seem like the table captain would let that happen.

And to the OP those boxes looked good and way way better than the first ones I ever turned in. That garnish work is pretty handy. Ours looked like parsley was thrown into the air and then caught with the box.

This is definitely an interesting point (and I really would need to sidebar it as to not derail), but since there are 10 distinguishable pieces would the first 5 judges be allowed to take everything leaving the 6th judge with nothing? Doesn't seem like the table captain would let that happen.

Good point... Why not start a new thread to see what others think (hint hint) :-D

FYI: Y'all, if he'll ever market his sauce, you simply must try it. That last round I tasted is still very memorable. I know I'll buy it if/when it becomes available.

One last hurdle to cross Hance. It's been tested and approved by Virginia Tech for acidified foods. Now waiting for the online class from FDA for better processing practices and then I can finally move forward!

Congrats on the wins. You got the fever now and you will not be able to stop. You will eat, sleep and dream about BBQ .

One last hurdle to cross Hance. It's been tested and approved by Virginia Tech for acidified foods. Now waiting for the online class from FDA for better processing practices and then I can finally move forward!

Good luck with it, and seriously, drop me a line when it's available. I'll buy some, do a review, and frankly purchase some for myself... The first batches were good, but the last batches were VERY VERY VERY gooooood.

Yeah. Those last batches have been recorded and stored. They have been tested by you, Boshizzle and tons of friends and customers at festivals. Nothing but rave reviews. But it all started with your review which pointed me in the right direction so huge thanks to you and obviously some free bottles when I make my next batch!

Back