Inconvenient labor day party

bocephus

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well folks I have been cookin for parties for my and my girlfrieds family for years now. A few weeks ago I asked my girlfriend if her mom was going to have a party this labor day she said yes. I asked what I was going to cook she responded with nothing. I thought weird... and I will be sure to eat before we go... but cool. Today before I went to work I was informed I was suposed to make a dessert. I said sure, I have my new dutch oven I will make a cobbler no problem. I got home from work at around 10 Pm, my girlfriend tells me we have to go to the store... Why I ask... because now I am doing the cooking for the party of 50 as well as food for some friends. which means I cant even just use the UDS, but I have to fire up my big stumps clone... I dont mind, but I have to work tomarrow, so now I will be shopping at midnite seasoning sunday morning, then working all day, and cooking over sunday night to sever food monday afternoon. Great times.
Didn't mean to complain, just need to tell my story to someone... maybe someone else is in the same situation

Wow. That's a bummer. If you are like me, I like to think about what I'm going to cook. Plan my shopping. In the end, I'm sure they will love your meal. That will make up for a lot of the aggravation. Still is a bummer when it is dropped on you at the last minute. Good luck.

Well, I am blessed. My wife has to have life's events planned well in advance and if one of her siblings suggests such a thing, she simply says that it's too short of notice to be able to get it done. I, on the other hand, love spontaneous events and welcome challenges just like you have here because, really . . . I love to cook BBQ and it's all about the challenge! Hang in there and I'm sure you'll do fine . . . and that you'll sleep really soundly the night after it's all done.

No one knows how to bug you like family. They don't mean to do it but boy they do!

I think that is a simple case of assumption and/or being taken advantage of..... Sounds like Mommy Dearest had other plans for cooking, based on the GF was not saying anything about this event... and then all of a sudden you are in the hot seat?

I think this should happen only once in everyone's life. Someone needs to be reminded that you are not a BBQ emergency response team and you are more than willing to do the cooking chores, but you do have other responsibilities in your life besides cooking mamal

I think it's great your girl friend and her family trust you so much...

well I feel I have no choice but to cook so here is some pron of the meats before the smoker, Ill be firing up the smoker tonite as soon as I get home, and hopfully I can get some sleep after the stumps is up and doin its thing

Last edited:
Look at it this way. You have someone to cook for and they love your food enough to request it. Inconvenient? maybe. loved? absolutely. Look on the positive side of it.

The same thing happens to me on ThanksGiving and Christmas. I always ask my wife " Do I need to cook anything?" And im always told " NO. My Mom has it all handled this year" I drive for 2 hours to get to the in-laws house. Im greeted warmly. Then im asked " Did you bring the turkey/Ham? and coconut, chocolate and lemon pies? So I just look at my wife and tell her to go to the store and I ask my Father in-law where the Kingsford is at. This Year im not going to ask anyone nothing. Im just going to cook the whole shabang and bring it all in some coolers.

Your the "GO TO" guy in the family, look how you accepted the challenge, your having fun and it looks good! Enjoy, you could be eating authentic Bar b Que from a pot of boiling water and liquid smoke or "real" pulled pork from a crock pot at one of the relatives houses! Have a great Labor Day, you deserve it!

Look at that. Ready to cook a feast at a moments notice. I seem to have lost your # you should send it to me in PM so I have the EBRT (emergency barbecue response team) number programmed in my phone.

I understand the frustration but here is some food for thought. I am really new to QueI got bit by the bug at the end of the spring and been obsessed with it ever since. I currently can only afford a bare bones UDS that I built myself. Every day I look at a local custom BBQ maker's brochure lusting after enormous pits that I want in my backyard. I Que EVERY chance I get. I know its a farking pain in the arse to get this dumped on you at the last minute.

BUT, enjoy the primal act of cooking meat over fire (God's gift to mankind) and bask in the praises of a thankful audience that are sure to love what you got going on. Hope it all turns out awesome Brother.

Now that is impressive, what a friggin' spread. And way to run with it:thumb:.

No one knows how to bug you like family. They don't mean to do it but boy they do!

I hear that, I just got enough put away in my mad money drawer to order my stoker and the sister-inlaw calls wanting to borrow money to pay bills cus she spent her bill money on a new tatoo the wife says sure guess what money she lent her:tsk:

Back