• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

12 hours @ 224 = 133 internal

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was super surprised to see my pork shoulder at such a low temp this morning after the overnight.

Insulated FEC so it wasn't the outside temps. I think I have so much meat on with a packer and 4 large butts that the heat just got sucked up (technical term).

I have plenty of time before we eat so not a huge deal, but definitely surprising.

Is there any chance that it was frozen inside? That doesn't sound like too big a load for an FEC. I've had more than that in mine. My butts are usually done in less than 12 hours.

Also, how accurate is your thermometer?

Considering the internal temps the meat will eventually get to I'm not too worried about the time it was in "the danger zone".

Is there any chance that it was frozen inside? That doesn't sound like too big a load for an FEC. I've had more than that in mine. My butts are usually done in less than 12 hours.

Also, how accurate is your thermometer?

Maverick ET-732. Pretty accurate. I was also cooking with three full pans (2 butts per foil pan, and one for the brisket). I think that may have affected some air-flow.

The brisket was in the 150 range while the butt was a good bit lower. One thing to note is that the 133* was after changing probe placement, and it came up to 144 pretty quickly so I'm wondering how much of it was lag-time on the probe coming back to temp.

Brisket is sitting at 156 while butt is 144. Maybe I will do a couple spot checks on the other butts with the thermopen.

Wonder if it IS the pans effecting the flow. Keep us posted.

I average ~2hr/# when I smoke @ 225° - with that much meat I'm not surprised. Granted, my WSM is no FEC...

Well it did get down to about 35F here last night, could that have factored in?

Well it did get down to about 35F here last night, could that have factored in?

Nah, the FEC100 is very well insulated. I'm thinking the pans and air-flow was the culprit.

Sitting at 176 on the briskie and 169 on the butt now so the temperature isn't as big a gap now. I think the repositioned probe needed to come up to temp too.

I'll kick up the temp a bit next big overnight cook with pans.

Are you sure about the accuracy of your pit thermo (I assume you were answering about the meat thermo before) and actual grate temp?

one thing to remember is temp of meat when you start, as it really sucks up the heat to get going. So get out of the fridge a couple hours before the cooker. Also temp probe at the meat level? Look close at your different racks and what the temp is at each rack next to the meat...next time adjust your preheat temp, this will help compensate for the heat that all th emeat soaks up

one thing to remember is temp of meat when you start, as it really sucks up the heat to get going. So get out of the fridge a couple hours before the cooker. Also temp probe at the meat level? Look close at your different racks and what the temp is at each rack next to the meat...next time adjust your preheat temp, this will help compensate for the heat that all th emeat soaks up

The lack of smoke flavor is the number one complaint of many FEC owners, and taking it out of the fridge for two hours before cooking it is going to compound that "problem." I've cooked exactly 100 pounds of pork in my FEC and never had anything cook that slowly. Do you have an elbow on your exhaust so that the wind can't blow directly into it? Was this particular piece of meat on the shelf near the exhaust? If the FEC was at that temperature (225) and the meat was nowhere near done after 12 hours - and none of the previous questions were answered "yes" - I would have to believe there's an incorrect thermometer or two to blame.

Back