"Black ribs" question

lastmajordude

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The "Poah" side of Madison Co. Mississippi
Saturday I got a "hankering" for some ribs so off to Wally's and got some Tyson spares. Got home trimmed and seasoned while Jambo was warming up. A lil late start made me cook hotter than usual.....when temp came down to 275 I put wood on and cont'd that process. Cooked @ 4 hours no foil. I put some brown sugar in the seasoning and in the last hour swabbed honey on them. the ribs were absolutely fantastic but had a sweet black bark which might turn some people off but again these were fantastic ribs. Are "black ribs" considered taboo in non comp ribs cause these some of my better ones.

In a non comp situation who cares if they have a darker bark on them if you enjoy them. If you are worried about it being too dark for you, wrap the ribs in butcher paper or foil once you get the color you want as opposed to going fully naked and allowing the ribs get black.

I don't cook "comp" ribs, i cook ribs for me and my family to enjoy. If you ribs were good and you like them that way go for it.

I think they look for shiney mahogany color for ribs, more appealing i guess?

If you liked them then I think you nailed it. What you like is more important then comp rib consistency, unless you are practicing for a comp...

They turned out dark because of the honey and sugar. High sugar content rubs/slathers will caramalize at the temperatures and causes the darker barks. You can keep them from getting super dark by wrapping them in butcher paper or foil when you get the color you want on them. Keep in mind however that you will have to adjust your cook times accordingly if you wrap as it will cause them to cook faster.

The honey is more the issue than the BS because it is a Liquid it will P/u particulates in the smoke.

there is a saying .. if the cook ain't happy ain't nobody happy. Cook for you

Back