The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Delivering Cold Pulled Pork? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129499)

Pa_BBQ 03-31-2012 07:28 AM

Delivering Cold Pulled Pork?

I am just starting off doing some catering, have not actually marketed yet. I have just been getting everything done with the county, city, HD and food safety, which is now done.

I have a customer who is going to buy some pulled pork for her sons grad party. This is great, but its also the same date as a BBQ competition I want to go to.

We have not met to discuss prices or details, but she is a good customer to our full time job and is very easy going.

My question is do you ever deliver pulled pork cold with re-heating instructions?

chachahut 03-31-2012 08:58 AM

Yes - we did this for a regular customer who wanted 10# of pork for a party in another city. Too pricy to ship it - so she had someone pick it up.

We cooked the butts - left them whole - & cooled them down. Then double bagged in Ziplock bags & into the freezer. She picked up the frozen butts with instructions on thawing & reheating. We included a container of our house wash (cider & vinegar) for reheat liquid & a couple of disposable foil 1/2 trays. She said it worked out perfectly.

BigBellyBBQ 04-02-2012 06:05 PM

Just pull apart before cooling as normal, add your sauce if you use it, wrap in saran first then foil...reheat in low heat oven and serve...never let you customer pull apart, as you need to clean up the meat and it pulls too hard once cooled down..this is also how you can freeze for traveling..or saving..

Pa_BBQ 04-02-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ (Post 2001581)
Just pull apart before cooling as normal, add your sauce if you use it, wrap in saran first then foil...reheat in low heat oven and serve...never let you customer pull apart, as you need to clean up the meat and it pulls too hard once cooled down..this is also how you can freeze for traveling..or saving..

This is exactly how we handle it when freezing, well for personal we vacuum seal but still pull first, mix with our "juice" then cool and freeze.

I was just not sure it was OK to give to a customer and let them warm it up.

early mornin' smokin' 04-03-2012 08:56 AM

i'd vacuum seal with your sauce. Than freeze, give instructions on heating up in a hot water bath, and make sure she measures the food after heated with a thermo above 160 degrees.

BigBellyBBQ 04-03-2012 06:21 PM

yeeeup...vacuum is the best if you have one...then heated with water..we use the steam table or chaffing servers just put directly in the water..but remember you are giving to the customer in a safe manner and then it is out of your control...but pork with the salt an vinnegar will not spoil for a long time just do not tell any one...as you must instruct on how to be safe....

Jacked UP BBQ 04-03-2012 09:50 PM

against the law unless you are usda certified

chachahut 04-04-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ (Post 2003147)
against the law unless you are usda certified

Only if you are selling business to business.

Business to consumer requires only state HD certification. Otherwise every single deli & Q joint selling by the pound would have to be USDA certified & that is definitely NOT the case.