The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Expanded metal on LI (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43702)

MAsQue 06-02-2008 02:30 PM

Expanded metal on LI

1 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to make a new fire grate for my log burner. I'm aiming for something like the attached picture, using expanded steel. I've been calling sheet metal shops all over Nassau and Suffolk trying to find a 2' x 2' sheet of expanded steel, with no luck so far. Does anyone in the area have a source for this?

Jorge 06-02-2008 02:32 PM

Have you checked Home Depot?

MAsQue 06-02-2008 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorge (Post 652904)
Have you checked Home Depot?

Yeah. I don't know about elsewhere, but around here they seem to carry only a light expanded aluminum, like might be used over a duct.

Barbarian 06-02-2008 02:37 PM

I would not go to sheet metal shops but machine or welding shops. The guys that work with real steel.

MAsQue 06-02-2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 652909)
I would not go to sheet metal shops but machine or welding shops. The guys that work with real steel.

I'll give that a shot. Back to the yellow pages...

Midnight Smoke 06-02-2008 02:52 PM

Try a scrap yard.

MattCom 06-02-2008 03:33 PM

Hey Masque
I just check our shop here and the only expanded metal we have is lighter duty (16 ga or .062" thk) I could get you that but I would guess it will not hold up in the long run.
Try:
http://www.mcnichols.com/
and see if they'll cut a sample and send it or maybe they can direct you to a place to get it/order it. Try for a sample tho, these guys are usually willing to send samples.

BBQchef33 06-02-2008 03:53 PM

home depot has it.

Its above the steel rods in the isle next to the work gloves. Hidden well, but its there. Look in a cubby display above the display with the steel rods, threaded rods, etc.. Red and white packaging.

Westexbbq 06-02-2008 03:58 PM

pm sent Brian,

jestridge 06-02-2008 06:45 PM

Tractor supply should have some but for a grate try an find the stuff they use for catwalks or that go over drains it last forever. I think it call deck grating.

MAsQue 06-02-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 652971)
home depot has it.

Its above the steel rods in the isle next to the work gloves. Hidden well, but its there. Look in a cubby display above the display with the steel rods, threaded rods, etc.. Red and white packaging.

Yep, that's the spot, Phil. The Setauket and Patchogue stores had just the light-weight stuff. I bought the angle iron there.

I found a welding shop in Copaigue that says he has a piece of 12 ga., which is more than half again as thick as what Matt termed lighter duty, so I'm guessing it's fairly substantial. As a back-up, Wes has got a piece that might be suitable.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. In your honor, I'll be using my new grate to whup some arse in Yardley this weekend.

Sledneck 06-02-2008 08:01 PM

yarde metals in deer park

MilitantSquatter 06-02-2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledneck (Post 653151)
yarde metals in deer park

Yep... Right on Motor Parkway. They do most of their international business from that location.

A bit off topic but I'd thought I'd share.... Yarde Metals is a great company !!!!!!!!! I deal directly with their corporate headquarters/main service center warehouse in Southington, CT.
I had a meeting with them in CT back in 2005 when we first started doing business with them.

They treat their workers very well. They actually have a "Sleep Room". It's a relaxation room with recliners etc. Any worker whether in the office or the warehouse/shop can go to this room and take a nap during the course of the day without any questions or weird looks from others. They want them to be fresh.

They have unisex bathrooms !!!

They also have a massage therapist come into the facility once a week to offer company subsidized massages to the staff. Full gym as well. Not unusual for a corporate office but definitely not the norm for a steel service center. They also have two conference rooms that were turned into a putting green practice area.. the room next to that has an indoor netted cage for driving golf balls.

Here's an article..

http://www.sternereditorial.com/YardeMetals.html

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 06-02-2008 10:47 PM

expanded metal is a sheet stock that should be available at many metal suppliers ( not sheet metal suppliers)

generally it comes in 4 foot by 8 foot sheets and can be sheared for a small fee

9 gage flat is what most of us are looking for

Sawdustguy 06-03-2008 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker (Post 653273)
expanded metal is a sheet stock that should be available at many metal suppliers ( not sheet metal suppliers)

generally it comes in 4 foot by 8 foot sheets and can be sheared for a small fee

9 gage flat is what most of us are looking for

Yup, 9 awg is what I used to make the charcoal bin for the Spicewine. I bought a 4 by 8 foot sheet and had it sheared every 8" at yarde metal.