Mothership Pizza

zydecopaws

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
More pizza experiments tonight. I fired up the Mothership (Weber Ranch Kettle) and made up some pizzas using leftovers from the weekend. First up was pulled pork, mozzarella cheese, and pineapple with homemade sauce on homemade whole wheat dough:

IMG_1033.JPG

Next was pulled chicken, mozzarella cheese, olives and mushrooms with the same homemade sauce and dough:

IMG_1034.JPG

Last but not least, brisket, mozzarella cheese, onions, and Anaheim peppers on the same homemade dough but with a sauce that was a combination of SBR and the homemade sauce.

IMG_1039.JPG

The first two pans went on some bricks on the Mothership grill, and helped create this picture which I think is one of my favorites and will be for some time to come.

IMG_1036.JPG

In spite of the flames I had some issues getting the dough to crisp up. It was still pretty soft when I yanked the pizza so the toppings wouldn't be ruined. As you can see from this picture, the pineapple was getting pretty brown and dry, and the pulled pork was getting long in the tooth...

IMG_1038.JPG

Similar result with the pulled chicken pizza. Looked good, but crust was too soft.

IMG_1037.JPG

According to Einstein, doing the same thing twice and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Not wanting to appear totally insane, I swallowed my pride and took my wife's advice to pre-cook the crust for the brisket pizza (the assembled version picture above was taken after the crust was on the grill for 5 minutes). I also added our pizza stone to the equation and let it warm up while we were eating the first batch. The combination made for a much better result.

IMG_1041.JPG

The peppers were a little crispy, but this pizza was darn good. To top off the meal I grilled up the rest of the pineapple. The natives wanted it so bad that I was only able to get a picture of the 4 slices that were taking a little longer to cook...

IMG_1042.JPG

Tonight was not a complete disaster as we learned several things. First, the Mothership can do pizza, but isn’t the best choice unless I want to burn a lot more charcoal and or wood to heat it up properly. Second, the stone really helps with the crust. Third, I may have to swallow my pride and admit that my bride is correct in recommending we pre-cook the crust before topping if we want it crispy. Last, even eating mistakes around here is pretty tasty…

Don't you hate it when the bride is right? Fortunately, it doesn't happen ofter so I can live with it:lol:

Pizzas look great from here, I'd hit the heck outta them puppies...

The pizza looks incredable One of the few things I havn't tried on the grill. Just joined this group and already getting new inspirations!

A pizza stone is critical when working with real dough. You want to get the stone nice and hot. Some Pizza Stone directions say to preheat your stone (in the oven) as much as a full hour in advance of throwing the pie on. I would try to preheat for 20-30 minutes minimum on a grill. Looking good so far! Good luck on your next pies!

Nice pies!
I've been reading all these posts on pizza lately. Most have been done on an Egg (which I don't have), but it's nice to see a kettle pull it off. I know the ranch kettle is bigger than my OTS, but this still gives me the guts to try this.

Curious....how'd you get the last pie on the hot stone? Do you have a peel? I've used a flat cookie sheet as a makeshift peel when cooking frozen pizzas in the oven....guess that would work here too?

Thanks for the thread!

any houses for sale on your block.......I'd move to make those za's quick delivery, very nice............LOL. T

Curious....how'd you get the last pie on the hot stone? Do you have a peel? I've used a flat cookie sheet as a makeshift peel when cooking frozen pizzas in the oven....guess that would work here too?

If you make pies on a regular basis, invest in a peel. You should be able to get a hold of one for under $20.

I agree with Northwoods you need to preheat your stone and get your kettle as hot as it will go. Most Wood Fired Ovens are cooking in the 600 - 700 degree range and can cook a pizza in about a minute. Also try setting all of your fuel to one side and your pizza stone to the other side. You will find that the you can control the heat a bit better and move the pizza around to ensure proper cooking.
Looks like you had fun and made some great eats along the way.

Nice pies!
I've been reading all these posts on pizza lately. Most have been done on an Egg (which I don't have), but it's nice to see a kettle pull it off. I know the ranch kettle is bigger than my OTS, but this still gives me the guts to try this.

Thanks for the thread!

By precooking the dough a bit on the pan I was able to transfer it to the stone using a large spatula. We invested in the pans as they can be used for other things, although I might end up with a peel at some point. The results are definitely better on the smaller kettles; I've pulled off some really good pizzas with nice crispy crusts using my Performer and the stone.

We tried using a flat cookie sheet to transfer at one point and still weren't able to get it to work. It's possible our dough was too wet; a more likely cause was we let the dough and toppings sit on it too long before trying to transfer it. YMMV... :wink:

man they look great i love pizza!!!!!

you are inspiring me to build my next project..............................

55gal Pizza Oven fire brick lined wood powered..................stay tuned

:)

Pizza help

As others have said....the best way to get a crisp crust is to cook your
pizza on a pizza stone.
And you need to cook at a minimum of 500 degrees;
600 to 700 is best.

I bought a special Pizza stone (about 12 years ago) to use in my
oven indoors; during the winter, it was expensive, but has been fantastic.
I never take it out as it helps everything else cook more evenly from the
way it radiates heat.
This company makes one that can be used on a grill or BBQ.
It is expensive; but, should last you forever and will get you a nice
crisp crust on your pizza...as long as you cook at the high temperatures.

Here is the link for any that want to check it out.
http://www.bakingstone.com/

I'm sure you can find cheaper stones other places.
But; these are very thick and should last a very long time, if cared for
properly.

We invested in the pans as they can be used for other things, although I might end up with a peel at some point.

We tried using a flat cookie sheet to transfer at one point and still weren't able to get it to work. It's possible our dough was too wet; a more likely cause was we let the dough and toppings sit on it too long before trying to transfer it. YMMV... :wink:

The pans that you are using are primarily for serving pie. If you want to pre-make a crust that you don't want to move with a peel, you want a 'pizza screen':

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=1524&manufacid=0&keyword=pizza screen

But, I would avoid the screen and get a peel. You want to pre-dust your peel with semolina flour (not corn meal) and once formed, transfer your formed fresh crust on your peel. You build you pie on the peel (you can shake the peel a little as you go to make sure it isn't sticking). The lighter the pie, the less sticking. Novices want to start out with a basic cheese with one topping pie. (Garbage can pizzas screw people up because you are trying to move 5 pounds of toppings on a fresh crush that wants to grab the peel). And move the pie to the stone via the peel. There is a learned technique to this as well.

The semolina flour is another secret. Keep the corn meal for your corn bread.

You want to pre-dust your peel with semolina flour (not corn meal).........

The semolina flour is another secret. Keep the corn meal for your corn bread.

Catch that ZYDECOPAWS? Weren't you just saying something this week in another pizza thread about cornmeal being a sacrilege?

(Stirrin it up, huh?? hee hee hee :mrgreen:)

Sorry, but I am a corn meal man. I learned to use it when I was in high school and my first job was "skin man" for Shakey's Pizza Parlor. It worked for them and I still use it today when I make my pizza on a stone. FWIW

The pizzas look excellent Zydeco...nice job!! :cool:

my first job was "skin man" for Shakey's Pizza Parlor.

I haven't been to a Shakey's in years. If I remember correctly, and if we are talking about the same restaurant, one of their signatures was "Mojo Potatoes". Do you have the secret recipe for those?? Those were super tasty.

I have always precooked my crust. I do not like pizza that much but when the fam wants me to cook it, i always pre cook crust so it wont get all soggy and nasty.

Back