Chicken, the qwest for bite through skin?

plowin-fire

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
How does one achieve bite through skin? I tried smoking thighs til 160, pulled them and place in foil pan with some water skin side up to try and steam the skin and soften. Left on for an hour with no results. Just got darker. Does the skin need to be down or am I missing something else?

Hey thats a novel idea. Wonder how I forgot that. How long should it take to finish once the thighs are placed in the foiled pan?

How does one achieve bite through skin? I tried smoking thighs til 160, pulled them and place in foil pan with some water skin side up to try and steam the skin and soften. Left on for an hour with no results. Just got darker. Does the skin need to be down or am I missing something else?
I take off the skin and scrape the fat off of it. I have done this on probably 100 thighs total in my short barbecue career, and I have had bite through on every single one. It seems tricky, but is quite easy once you get going (though it is still time consuming).

I've scraped or fileted 600-700+ thighs since jan 2010. You get bite thru every time.

I suggest doing some searching on this site for cooking chicken. You'll find lots of different methods. Some are posted with full details, some take a little time to put all the steps together.

I've scraped or fileted 600-700+ thighs since jan 2010. You get bite thru every time.

I suggest doing some searching on this site for cooking chicken. You'll find lots of different methods. Some are posted with full details, some take a little time to put all the steps together.

For us slow ones it takes a few years and a grand or two in classes . :redface:

Scrape the skin, put back on trimmed thigh, cook to 160, place in foiled pan for about an hour. I am sure that there are lots of tricks in between steps. I'd better continue my qwest...

Scraping the skin is the key to getting bite through. It also helps to buy a Jaccard: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-45-Knife-Meat-Tenderizer/dp/B000A3I3G0"]Amazon.com: Jaccard 45 Knife Meat Tenderizer: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Scrape the skin, put back on trimmed thigh, cook to 160, place in foiled pan for about an hour. I am sure that there are lots of tricks in between steps. I'd better continue my qwest...

Dude, it's really about that easy.. Don't use cheap a$$ chicken thighs, get some good quality ones with minimal fat, and you won't even have to scrape it. Getting consistent bite thru skin each and every time is probably the easiest thing to do in BBQ. Some people like to make it hard.

I never scrape, and always have bite through skin. The only really tricky part is learning how to tell if its "bite through" without having to bite it.

Back