• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Steak selection

ulc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anyone buy pack of steaks because of one steak in the pack they liked even though the other steaks were average looking? I went to Costco Business Center today to buy some steaks to take with me on vacation to Aruba and saw this pack. The top left steak jumped out at me. Not bad for USDA Choice grade. Better looking than lot of the prime grade I've seen. Should make for yummy dinner in Aruba.

NZRatrZh.jpg

A lot of stores do this. I've bought 3 packs of ribs just from seeing the outside ones, knowing the one in the middle I can't see will be lousy. That's how they get rid of them. If they put all the lousy ones in the same package, no one would ever buy it. And yeah, sometimes you luck out and get a piece of meat that's graded choice but looks like prime.

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
I would agree there are some deliberate placement or grouping when markets package meats, and that pack of steaks is a perfect example. Family packs often have the least attractive chops at the bottom. But regarding beef, in addition to the 7 or 8 USDA grades of beef (we usually only see select, choice and prime) there are 8 or 10 degrees of marbling. These two things lead to sub-grades of beef.... there is low choice, medium choice and high choice. As well as low prime and upper prime, often called slightly abundant and moderately abundant. In your package although they are all "choice" the better one is a high choice, the others might be medium choice.

y44WfZQ.jpg

I usually buy them individually but that top one sure does look nice!! :grin:

Hope you have a great vacation!

Thanks cowgirl! I'm going to give the top one to my daughter. She's the reason I bought these steaks. She doesn't like lot of the seafood, and I know she will want to eat steak at least one night while we're there. So I figured it's better to just buy steaks in the US and take it there on the plane to cook for her. Hopefully customs won't say anything or give me problems.

At best I'll see 3 out of 4 Costco choice grade steaks look good in a package. There's always at least one with little to no marbling.

• Thanks
Enjoy Aruba! There are some great little restaurants if you are willing to travel off the beaten path.

• Thanks
Heck yeah!!! When you absolutely have to have that one steak.

I run across those at my local Costco Business with one marbled damn near Wagyu and the other as select. :twitch:

• Thanks
Tangent: I wouldn't have even thought of packing steaks to take on a trip to Aruba. I don't travel enough so I would have assumed that would have been frowned upon. Interesting.

• Thanks
Enjoy Aruba! There are some great little restaurants if you are willing to travel off the beaten path.

Thanks! Aruba is probably my favorite Caribbean island. We first visited the island back in 2017 for my daughter's Spring Break and fell in love with the island and the beautiful friendly people there. And I agree there are some great restaurants on the island. We had some great meals at Zeerovers, Flying Fishbone, Yemanja, West Deck, and the Dutch Pancake House on our last trip. But we also loved going to Superfood and buying their freshly baked French bread and making sandwiches to take to the beach. I really love the bread, Gouda cheese, and the deli cuts sold there. It reminded me so much of the fantastic cheese, bread, and deli meats you find in Europe. It just tasted better.

Tangent: I wouldn't have even thought of packing steaks to take on a trip to Aruba. I don't travel enough so I would have assumed that would have been frowned upon. Interesting.

This will be my first attempt at taking steaks and cooking while on vacation. Generally, we don't cook during our trip as we like to explore and try the local restaurants. But steak is something I feel like I can do just as good if not better than most restaurants, and I know there will be one night during the week when we will be really tired from our beach day and won't feel like going out to long sit down dinner. That's when I plan to cook the steak and you really can't beat the price/quality of USDA beef as I learned during my travels.

It's only 4 hours direct flight on Delta from Atlanta to Aruba. I should be able to freeze the steaks and place it in soft cooler and take it with me on my carry-on bag. And since the steaks are factory vacuum sealed, Aruba customs shouldn't care. But I've never tried taking steaks through customs so I don't know for sure.

My love wanted kabobs the other day and she grabbed a pack of charcoal steaks to use and almost all six of them resembling that top left one. They were fabulous...except for some long lines of gristle in them.

If I were you, I would make the rest of them for the kids and save the nice one for the wife :heh: and take a few slices for me too...

Zeerovers!! Loved that place. Love aruba as well...if he wind would die down a bit...it would be perfect.

Have fun.

Thanks! Aruba is probably my favorite Caribbean island. We first visited the island back in 2017 for my daughter's Spring Break and fell in love with the island and the beautiful friendly people there. And I agree there are some great restaurants on the island. We had some great meals at Zeerovers, Flying Fishbone, Yemanja, West Deck, and the Dutch Pancake House on our last trip. But we also loved going to Superfood and buying their freshly baked French bread and making sandwiches to take to the beach. I really love the bread, Gouda cheese, and the deli cuts sold there. It reminded me so much of the fantastic cheese, bread, and deli meats you find in Europe. It just tasted better.

This will be my first attempt at taking steaks and cooking while on vacation. Generally, we don't cook during our trip as we like to explore and try the local restaurants. But steak is something I feel like I can do just as good if not better than most restaurants, and I know there will be one night during the week when we will be really tired from our beach day and won't feel like going out to long sit down dinner. That's when I plan to cook the steak and you really can't beat the price/quality of USDA beef as I learned during my travels.

It's only 4 hours direct flight on Delta from Atlanta to Aruba. I should be able to freeze the steaks and place it in soft cooler and take it with me on my carry-on bag. And since the steaks are factory vacuum sealed, Aruba customs shouldn't care. But I've never tried taking steaks through customs so I don't know for sure.
You may want to check because I think transporting beef is a big no no.

Even Mexico will take your beef jerky if they find it, they have dogs trained to find it

It can't be that hard to contact authorities that could give you a answer of whether or not you'll end up pitching them in the garbage ( where customs will retrieve and have a great dinner!!)
Ed

Update: I'm in Aruba now. You guys scared me with all the custom declaration stuff. So I decided not to pack the steaks and risk possible confiscation. But I should've gone with my plan. I saw nothing in the Aruba custom form I filled out that even asked if you're bring any meat, plant, or food with you. I also didn't see anybody getting checked. So next time, I'm definitely taking steaks and other food to Aruba.

I've eaten at Zeerovers twice already. Love Zeerovers. I paid $27 for 3 whole red snappers and more than 1/2 lb of shrimp. Can't beat that. Or the view.
Jd39BL3l.jpg

love the papaya hot sauce. finished whole bottle.
G0Dxkd8l.jpg

love the view at Zeeovers
8qRmjWVl.jpg

Dqx11q4l.jpg

Back