35 Briskets??

GA1dad

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This afternoon I was having a conversation about BBQ with a gentleman from my wife's church. He mentioned ( hinted really ) that their normal guy was not going to be able to cook their 35 briskets for an event next year. I'll admit it,,, I can't even imagine cooking that many briskets at once. But it did make me wonder just what kind of cookers would be used for such a chore. How many packers does a Lang 84 hold?:becky:

My wife said she though the guy cooked them ahead of time and re-heated for the event. Still,,, that's a chore.

Depending on size I might be able to get them in my Shirley. I'd love to try with the right number of helpers. You will need sharp knives or the trimming will take days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Depending on size I might be able to get them in my Shirley. I'd love to try with the right number of helpers. You will need sharp knives or the trimming will take days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk[/QUOT

I think you you could.

I think about 24 would be the limit for my Peoria Cooker, maybe a few more depending on the size of the briskets.

I think I'd trim a few every day leading up to the event instead of trying to do them all at once.

Geez, you're right. I hadn't even considered the time involved in trimming that many.

I think about 24 would be the limit for my Peoria Cooker, maybe a few more depending on the size of the briskets.

I think I'd trim a few every day leading up to the event instead of trying to do them all at once.
Made think about this... Where in the crap would I store 35 briskets?!?

Geez, you're right. I hadn't even considered the time involved in trimming that many.
I'm a thorough trimmer. Even in a rush it takes me 30 minutes per brisket. Did 8 for my first big cook. So glad it decided to trim the night before.

Not me - I cut out the Hard fat and Go- 5 minutes a briskets.

Here's a mix of 30 something Butts/Briskets (and a few ribs) and the warmer still has room. Scaling meat is easy (relatively speaking), scaling sides sucks a lot.

RqhqaCcl.png

Mad Scientist BBQ did 20 briskets on a 500 gallon propane tank smoker and it was pretty well maxed out. If he had re-arranged them maybe he could have gotten another brisket per rack, so I would guess 24 would have been at max capacity. I think I could do 12 pretty easily on my Johnson 60" cooker, maybe 14 if I really got in there and arranged things well.

https://youtu.be/OvDi5k8dGqk?t=688

How many people are they feeding with 35 briskets???

35 briskets at say 13lbs each is 455lbs of meat. A conservative % of loss after trimming/shrinkage during cooking is 50% so 227.5lbs of net meat.

That's. A. Lot. Of. Meat.:cool:

How many people are they feeding with 35 briskets???

I don't know how many folks. But it has evidently been done every year for the last 7 or 8 years,,, so I guess they have figured out how much they need.

Made think about this... Where in the crap would I store 35 briskets?!?

I have a couple of those big white Igloo coolers from Sam's Club that I use for overflow storage on big cooks. They're awesome.

How many packers does a Lang 84 hold?:becky:

Full packers in the 13.5-15.5 range? 20 is about the max I can fit with standard shelves (2 levels) and enough room to work. You would have to get creative with a welder to get 30+ in there sitting flat, and even then I assume it would be real hard to work with.

That said, from a commercial perspective, a Lang 84 is a small smoker, almost on the tiny side.

Back