The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Novice BBQ with a question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79050)

NoviceBBQmovinUp 02-23-2010 07:56 PM

Novice BBQ with a question

i am building my first UDS in about a week and i have read so much information on this site, however i still have a question (imagine that haha)

1. Why do some people use vinegar in their mops, and marinades ect... what is it with vinegar? I really have no idea so a more detailed reply would help me out. Thanks All who reply.

i edited this to remove the word "everyone" and replaced it with some people

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-23-2010 08:00 PM

Many think that vinegar opens the "pores" in the meat which then makes flavor transport easier. This may be one of the advantages of using a mustard slather.

NorthwestBBQ 02-23-2010 08:00 PM

It's a North Carolina thing. Not too popular here in the Pacific Northwest.

deguerre 02-23-2010 08:05 PM

So far I haven't mopped anything I've smoked and I've only marinated a couple things, mostly chicken.

Meat Burner 02-23-2010 08:18 PM

Everyone doesn't use vinegar. It's more of a little N. Carolina thing I do a little but a lot of people don't at all.

Ron_L 02-23-2010 08:26 PM

Not everyone uses vinegar as a mop, but a lot of sauces have vinegar in them to add some acidity. I enjoy a vinegar sauce on pulled pork but prefer a tomato based sweeter sauce on chicken and ribs, and a spicier sauce for brisket when I use sauce.

BBQ Grail 02-23-2010 08:28 PM

Everyone doesn't even use a mop...

NoviceBBQmovinUp 02-23-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1193373)
Everyone doesn't even use a mop...

ok seriously, i am sorry for saying "Everyone" obviously not everyone does it

never mind... to those of you who just post to make your count higer, HAVE FUN!

HeSmellsLikeSmoke and Ron L ...thanks for answering my simple question

landarc 02-23-2010 08:35 PM

I don't mop, well, I don't mop my BBQ. I do not spray either. If I did mop or spray, I would probably not use vinegar, although I consider it key for any sauce I make. I also do not believe it opens the pores of meat that is already hot.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-23-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoviceBBQmovinUp (Post 1193380)

HeSmellsLikeSmoke and Ron L ...thanks for answering my simple question

You are way off base with that comment.

landarc 02-23-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoviceBBQmovinUp (Post 1193380)

If you are truly a novice, give some thought to that, there is a lot of discussion about whether to mop or not. I do not mop, I have my reasons and they are sound. BBQ Grail could have been more detailed, but, the comment is valid.

Let's consider more detail, the idea that mopping will add moisture to meat at temperature assumes that the meat is in a state where it will accept the mop, it also assume that the mop will not evaporate or run off. Yes, basting is often performed in oven cooking, but, if you really discuss this technique with food scientists they will suggest that the basting actually only contributes to surface color as once meat reaches temperatures in excess of 140F, the heat actually leads to evaporation and the meats internal fluids are evacuating the tissue, making absorption of the mop unlikely. There are many traditions that assume basting or mopping will make your meat more tender and juicy, there is a lot of discussion of whether this is true.

Before accusing someone of post puffing, please consider that his post may have some from experience.

CAustin919 02-23-2010 08:51 PM

This might be one of those questions where you get as many reasons as you do people who answer.

I think landarc said it best.. there are many "traditions" recipes and what not that we all follow for one reason or another.. The best thing is getting to try a bunch of different ways and deciding which one you like best.

Having said that... I don't always use a mop.. when I do I use vinegar quite a bit. Mixed with apple juice maybe... sometimes beer, whatever I'm in the mood for. There is definitely room for debate and discussion.. I just like the taste it brings.

Let us know what you come up with in your trials

NoviceBBQmovinUp 02-23-2010 09:08 PM

i just asking a question and was hoping for an answer to my question. I dont need to know if "you" mop. i dont care because i already know, somepeople mop and some wont touch the stuff. If you dont have an answer to my question the move on. Why would i want to read a ton of posts of who mops and who does not. i can go read that topic in another place. I just wanted to know what the deal was with vinegar in a mop. Dont jump on me because i said i just want a simple answer.
Read my post... i never said why do people mop. i asked why they use vinegar.

BBQ Grail 02-23-2010 09:13 PM

My new friend, NoviceBBQmovinUp, I am sorry you took exception to my short, yet educational response. Over the years we have had many new members of this forum with limited experience who were under the impression that all BBQ is mopped.

They get this false knowledge through watching television shows about BBQ or some other way. Since you original post was more about the types of mops used I did not wish to hijack your thread, but instead to provide a little bit of knowledge that might spur you to ask more questions.

CAustin919 02-23-2010 09:16 PM

Why in the HELL did you come in swinging? This is a community.. a friendly community. You are always going to get answers based on experience because we all have a common ground... the love of BBQ and cooking. There may be several "right" answers to a questions and everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion.

If someone includes their personal opinion in an response it doesn't mean they are trying to avoid answering your question. Take the time to read the responses. Take the information and use it how you see fit. But please don't put down another member of the community for contributing.